Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 70.22.4.142
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Too Much Fuel in Carburetor

This was originally posted in the Troubleshooting section. Can anyone here help me with this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm132 View Post
After reinstalling the fuel pump and carb the engine won't start again. I must have done something grossly wrong when putting the fuel pump or carburetor back together. When I try to start the engine it doesn't even sound as if it is trying to fire/catch. When I take the flame arrestor off fuel comes pouring out of the carburetor. Obviously, there is too much fuel going in. Is it possible that when I put the lower end of the fuel pump back together I did something incorrectly that leaves the pump open and constantly pumping fuel? Is it possible that I over cleaned the carburetor and it continues to draw fuel from the pump? Perhaps the float is out of balance. I don't know Right now I'm just royally pissed off and ready to find a mechanic to clean up this mess I have created.

Brian
Desperately seeking help in B'more, argh...
I took the carburetor and fuel pump off again and there was a bunch of black gunk (I think it was carbon residue) throughout the carburetor. I bought another can of carburetor cleaner and cleaned it up again. I took the fuel pump off again and reset the springs to the primer. I am about to put the carburetor back together and re-install it and the fuel pump. Perhaps it will work properly this time. Any advice or explaination of what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Baltimore, MD
  #2   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Angry Too much

Brian are you using a fuel filter??? It sounds klike some of the "Blacfk crud" maybe getting caught under the needle of the needle & seat which would hold the float open causing a problem like yours.
The first thing you need to do is make sure that you get CLEAN fuel to the carb. Check the lines upstream of the f/pump and be sure they are flushed out. Then blow out the carb and reassemble, you should be able to save the gaskets if you are carefull.
Do you know where the crud is coming from IE old fuel lines or gunk in the tank. Just a spec under the seat and you're flooded.
If you have a filter make sure it is good and sealed inside the canister so all the fuel passing gets filtered. A little inline clear type before the carb is a good added precaution plus you can see if it is getting dirty!

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 69.108.164.105
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Speaking of fuel filters, my A-4 has only the large (oil filter sized) type water separator fuel filter. Should there be another filter in line somwhere. I don't know much about it but I'm thinking the large water separator fuel filters aren't really for fuel filtering. Does anybody know if I should also have an in line fuel filter in addition to the water separator type filter?

DVD
  #4   IP: 70.22.4.142
Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM

I just finished cleaning the carb again per directions in Moyer's manual. I reassembled and reinstalled with the same results. The crud is some type of carbon residue, not from the fuel. The engine is out of the boat but I do have an inline filter with a brand new filter attached. I did something to screw up the carburetor. When I took the flame arrestor off fuel just gushed out. From the way the engine sounds when I try to turn it over I don't think any fuel is getting to the engine. I replaced the old carburetor about two or three years ago.

Still stuck in the garage
Baltimore, MD
  #5   IP: 70.22.4.142
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 PM

It is suggested that an inline filter be placed between the fuel pump and the carburetor. It's relatively simple to install as well as a good idea. I believe Moyer has a kit. Check the online catalog.
Baltimore, MD
  #6   IP: 206.205.133.82
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Should there be another filter in line somwhere. I don't know much about it but I'm thinking the large water separator fuel filters aren't really for fuel filtering. Does anybody know if I should also have an in line fuel filter in addition to the water separator type filter?

DVD
YES! You should have a "Polishing" filter downstream of the Water Separator filter.
Attached Images

#7   IP: 70.22.27.39
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Float Valve duh

I forgot to reinstall the float valve because somehow I lost it. Have to order a new one.
Baltimore, MD