X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaHarlequin
    • Nov 2019

Is my choke cable broken?

Hi - I'm trying to determine whether I need a new choke cable or if this is something that can be adjusted/repaired.

I was adjusting my choke after reinstalling my carb and when I pushed the choke rod in, something gave. Looking behind the mount point, I see that the shaft on the choke cable disconnected. I can still close the choke by reaching in and holding the shaft while pushing the rod in.

I can't tell if the shaft is supposed to be permanently affixed. If so, maybe I can use JB Weld or jury rig a clamp to hold the shaft in place until I purchase a new one. If it's supposed to be removable/adjustable, how do I get it to stay in place -- there don't seem to be any threads or compression fittings. Likewise, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the knob -- it turns but doesn't screw off and tugging on it doesn't pop it off. Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough?

Thanks!
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

The black tube needs to be fixed at both ends, and the rod (attached to the knob) needs to slide freely through the tube. Usual failure mode is corrosion of the rod and the tube. If the rod still moves easily through the tube, you can try to re-crimp where the tube attaches to the bulkhead fitting. But go gently - crimp too hard and the rod will no longer move freely.

Comment

• SeaHarlequin
      • Nov 2019

Perfect - thanks for that information! The rod still moves through the tube when I hold things in place by hand so I'll try getting this re-attached.

Comment

Working...
      X