Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

#1   IP: 67.249.194.43
Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Anti-freeze vs draining

I was wondering today why anti-freeze is run through engines to winterize them. There must be some advantage over simply draining the block, but what is it? It was on my mind because my block was drained by the marina this year as the engine was not running when the boat was put away. Anything I should watch out for during spring commissioning?

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
Sparrow’s Point, MD
  #2   IP: 107.0.6.242
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

The problem with simply draining an engine to winterize it is that in fact the engine cannot really be completely drained. Residual water especially in the bottom of the water jacket at the base of the cylinders remains and reacts with the casting until it really is dried up. This area is actually where most block failures occur where the jacket rusts right thru to the cylinders. In the best of circumstances raw water cooling is long term mechanical suicide for an engine, but putting it to bed wet is like putting it to bed with a dose of poison. Fill your block with automotive antifreeze every winter.

Last edited by hanleyclifford; 05-15-2014 at 07:22 AM.
  #3   IP: 67.249.194.43
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
The problem with simply draining an engine to winterize it is that in fact the engine cannot really be completely drained. Residual water especially in the bottom of the water jacket at the base of the cylinders remains and reacts with the casting until it really is dried up. This area is actually where most block failures occur where the jacket rusts right thru to the cylinders. In the best of circumstances raw water cooling is long term mechanical suicide for an engine, but putting it to bed wet is like putting it to bed with a dose of poison. Fill your block with automotive antifreeze every winter.
Good enough for me!

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
Sparrow’s Point, MD