X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

Small Distributor Issue

So, I just replaced my accessory drive with a rebuilt one. After getting the motor to TDC and adjusting the timing with the motor running, I don't have the same clearance between the distributor cap and the alternator belt that I used to. It's just that now the distributor is in a slightly different orientation than before - I never had very much clearance. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm thinking of just sanding/filing a couple of millimeters off the plastic distributor cap where it is making contact with the alternator belt. Any potential problems with that? I just don't really want to remove the distributor again unless I have to. But, if I do decide to do things right, how can I get the distributor in a more suitable orientation (this is a late model engine)? Someone installed this distributor in an interesting orientation and, interestingly enough, the breaker plate on the distributor doesn't even appear to be installed correctly because when the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire, it is facing the exact opposite direction from the alignment tab.
  • MikeB.330
    • Jun 2006

Are you sure you didn't roll past TDC on the #1 hole? I would think the engine would run but it sounds like you are 180 deg. out. I don't see anything good coming out of grinding on the dist. cap. Something's not right.

I'm sure it does but is the alternator pulley still in lin with the drive pulley?

Comment

• bayareadave
      • May 2006

almost touches the pulley as well

I noticed the same issue when I tried to replace the distributor cap with a new one from Moyer Marine. The new one rubbed against the alternator pulley. I put the old one back on and noticed even the old one almost touches the pulley as well.
      -Dave Whaley
      Pleasant Hill, CA

Comment

• Kurt
        • Jun 2007

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm sure the engine is timed right. I actually first just installed the distributor without locating TDC, just out of curiosity to see if this robust little beast with start - I didn't think it would. It actually fired right up, but died when put into gear. So, I manually turned the flywheel and found TDC. Then fired the motor up, found my cruising rpm and turned the distributor slightly to gain highest rpm. Motor runs great. I also thought the alternator pulley might be out of line with the drive pulley, but it's lined up. The alternator belt is naturally just so close to the distributor cap that a slight change in distributor orientation seems to be enough to cause the belt to chafe against the cap. So, maybe I'll pull the distributor out again at some point and change it's orientation. It's my understanding that the distributor can be installed in any orientation as long as you properly find TDC subsequent to installation and prior to firing up the motor. I still am leaning towards filing a couple millimeters off the cap to see if I can get by with that. I don't think this would be a hazard or problem since the cap is much thicker than that. And, when installing the electronic ignition, I had to file a slot in the bottom of the cap per installation instructions. Trial and hopefully no error on this one. It doesn't chafe enough to affect the ability to run the motor at this point, I'm just concerned that at some point the integrity of the alternator belt will be compromised with the continual rubbing.

Comment

• Kurt
          • Jun 2007

Just as a follow up to the issue of the alternator belt rubbing against the distributor cap. If anyone has this issue, I discovered the hard way that it is definitely best to get the distributor in the correct orientation and then there will be sufficient clearance between the belt and cap. Best orientation is with the tip of the rotor facing directly away from the block for late model engines. I fired up the motor with the cap rubbing against the alternator block, thinking it was timed correctly as it fired right up and I located TDC prior to starting the motor. Well, motor died in the channel once it warmed up and once I throttled up, putting it under load right into some nice wind and current (obviously wasn't timed right). Didn't have time to put the sails up and came within 10 feet of the concrete pier. So, coasted back into the slip and did things the right way by finding TDC, pulling the distributor and getting it into the right orientation (rotor facing away from the block and tip right under the #1 spark plug lead. Someone really had this distributor assembled strangely, so I also had to take the breaker plate off and turn it 180 degrees. Actually no big deal and the timing issues are very simple to deal with, especially if you have a hand crank to manually turn the flywheel when locating TDC. Motor runs great now and I haven't come close to the pier since!

Comment

Working...
          X