Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 74.120.152.144
Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

How long is too long....

I am going to guess that the fuel is bad....guess just looking for confirmation and pointer for easiest way to do it....

Just bought a 1978 Catalina 27 that has been sitting for at least a year....been cleaning her out and now finally getting around to engine/fuel stuff. Replaced battery and it does turn over....but the fuel tank is completely full, or so the gauge says.

Is it safe to assume the fuel would need to be drained out and if so whats the easiest way to do it without removing the tank? Oh and BTW she is in the water....

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-28-2018 at 07:47 AM.
  #2   IP: 72.69.36.126
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Afourian MVP

I've used fuel that was a year old with no issues at all BUT it had plenty of Sta-Bil preservative put into it beforehand.

If you are unsure of the fuel's age and whether it has been preserved, you need to take it out. My boat's fuel fill is in the floor of the cockpit and has a straight shot down into the tank. I've used a cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight to suck it out, it took a while, and to get the stuff out of the very bottom of the tank I had to attach a length of thin copper pipe to the end of the flexible hose so it could be directed to the bottom of the tank.

I'm shooting from the hip here: with other setups you might be able to attach some lead weights to the end of the flexible hose so it finds its way to the very bottom of the tank. Or you might want to attach a hose to the outlet of the (large) (canister) fuel filter (assuming you have one) and use an electric pump of some sort. Then replace the fuel filter. This won't get all of the fuel out, though, because the pickup tube in the tank does not reach all the way down to the bottom of the tank. If the gas is of so-so quality this might be good enough if you fill the remaining 95% of the tank with fresh gas. If the gas is really bad this might not be good enough.
  #3   IP: 184.151.36.212
Old 01-29-2018, 10:22 PM

Too much “ stabilizer “ ?

As part of my winter to-do list, I am replacing both fill and vent hoses.( no leaks, just old, and want to be ahead of this type of maintenance item)

I plan on pumping out the bottom portion (20 Lt./5 gallon) of my tank at the same time. Will use a hose clamped to a 24’’ inch of bendable copper tube. I will guide the tube to the very bottom, hoping to get the cruddiest of any contaminants that may be resting on the bottom of the tank. Will be interesting to see what I get out of the 40+ yr old tank.

As KTS is currently sitting on her cradle, there is no motion to stir up crap. I should be able to ‘’vacuum’’ the tank bottom, when it’s warm enough to take the cover off.

So to my question.....can fuel be over stabilized/ over treated? I am always adding shots (or lots) of stabilizer to the tank when I fuel up, to the point I far exceed recommended mixtures. Any issues? Fuel line integrity? Gaskets?

Cheers
Jimmy

Jimmy
C&C 29 MK1
Erieau , Lake Erie
  #4   IP: 71.178.87.162
Old 01-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Hi Newbie and welcome..Be careful starting too many parallel threads..you have to much to follow that way..lots of replies in this one too that I've linked back to below.

All the regulars see all the threads, and you will too as you figure out the forum and check it regularly..I think the forum has a few too many different categories personally, but I am not in charge of that part.

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10570
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif