• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The spitter

Hi guys, I am looking for a consensus of opinion on "head parts". The part is the spitter of which there are a few manufactures and two styles. There is the straight cut and the "Y" cut or 3 splits.

I am having problems with them staying sealed so I am posing this question. Which one is best by style or manufacturer?

I have been told that "urine" and salt water can form crystals that can hold them open a bit and I have been told that that is BS too. Any body know the science here?

Any input or opin will be appreciated.

Thanx, Dave Neptune
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Does a Spitter= Joker valve?

I think what you are calling a spitter, we Canuks call a Joker Valve.
    Just replaced mine last week, and I questioned the life expectancy, as the entire head was replaced 4 years ago. The Jacobs unit came supplied with the 3 seam flap.
    I was informed 4 years is slightly above average, and to extend that 4 years, I would need to open up the system, and “ lube’ the valve, as part of spring commissioning. THATS NOT HAPPENING!
    If I’m opening up the system, it will be with the 12 dollar valve in hand, so I can skip the next 3 springs

Admittedly I am in fresh water, with minimal wear and tear on head parts- maybe 3-4 pump outs per season. YMMV

Cheers
    Jimmy
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• capnward
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2012

I just cleaned mine. It isn't BS. Something creates the 'salt crystals', and it really is the salt. Think of kidney stones. Not pumping it all the way through, and not using an additive to cut the stuff, like vinegar, or other products they sell, will clog it up eventually and distort it. Raritan calls that part a joker valve, and the one they sell is a straight cut. They must sell a lot of them, but I don't see them on their website except as part of a rebuild kit, and had to call. You can't rely on them remaining completely closed. Taking it all apart and cleaning the parts and hoses, immersing the smaller parts in vinegar overnight, or replacing parts, is a routine task, not very pleasant. Good Luck.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I've had no problem with mine for 13 years but a regular part of boat clean up is a gallon of fresh water flushed through the system.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Run fresh water and vinegar through the head every week or month, depending. It will solve this issue.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Jimmy
            • Aug 2011

After fighting a " head" odour, I replaced all the hoses, and now always flush using fresh water from a jug, when at a dock, and only use pumped Lake water, when underway, or when a plentiful supply of fresh water isn't avaliable

Cheers
            Jimmy
            Last edited by Jimmy; 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM. Reason: Edited to add - can notice a big difference between fresh and Lake water sitting in the bowl for a entire week, cabin locked
            sigpic
            Jimmy
            C&C 29 MK1
            Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• tac
              • Nov 2015

I had the same question a bit ago and found this via the Practical Sailor magazine/site.

Since 1974, Practical Sailor’s independent testing has taken the guesswork out of boat and gear buying.

You can find other stuff on jokers at Practica Sailor by searching for “joker” on their site

Comment

• Administrator
                MMI Webmaster
                • Oct 2004

Once or twice over the years, I've had to replace the joker valve because of reflux. Invariably, the problem was caused by a small wad of toilet paper or other "debris" getting hung up in the slit. Over time, the slit would take a set around the foreign matter. When the offending material did eventually move thru (or worse yet, if it didn't), the set remained and the slit would no longer fully seal.

Bill
                Last edited by Administrator; 06-23-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• GregH
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2015

The joker valve I think is the most replaced head item. Some seem to need a new one every year from backflow issues, and Some treat it like their engine impeller- gets replaced every year.
                  Greg
                  1975 Alberg 30
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

Wow, thanx for all the replies. I do not have any odor problems due to a regular dose of vinegar. I do have a "tall" holding tank IE it the entry to the tank is about 3 1/2 feet above the bowl. I get a bit of back flow. I have 2 heads with the same set up one holds well and gets little use and the other gets most use and won't hold for long.

Tac, thanx for the link. I will order up a "Jabsco" spitter (joker) for my Raritan. I have rebuilt the one head and replaced the spitter twice in two years with the Raritan unit~~YUCH.

If it works any better I will post it up.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Dave, my holding tank is about 24" above the head joker valve. One thing I do is always flush with fresh water..we carry a couple small jugs of tap water from the marina for this purpose. I even disconnected the salt/raw water inlet because I have not used it for years now. If I run out of jug water, I use the "shower hose" from the head sink attached the the 35 gal. house tankage.

I always have a fresh new joker valve on board..kinda like a water pump impeller! I'll send lots of fresh water thru and then change it if it is leaking..it isn't an every year maintenance item, but I rarely seem to get two out of them.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X