Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Overhaul

#1   IP: 73.19.60.36
Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 PM

OOooops!!!!

Got maybe a slight problem here. Forgive me if I don't know all of that proper names for parts.
I was adjusting the forward and reversing gear by loosening the screw and turning the thrust nut? (The one with the grooves in it so the svrew locks it in place.)
i loosened and thought i had it back in the groove, went aft to check the gear and put it in forward to the dent, released, repeated a couple times.
it seemed to tight, so when i went to back the thrust nut back one groove, the screw was gone! also the hole where it goes in is broken!!!! crap! its not all the way broke. only a section about 7/8ths on the back side broke out, kind of like a chip. I had a samr size bolt. ground the threads off and it does screw in and torque down fine, it does lock the nut in place. a test run on the lines at the dock with full power did not cause it to loosen or worse fall out.

i read here somewhere, and i'm pretty sure of the fix, is to turn 180 degrees and there is another place where i could drill and tap a new hole.

Question is, can i do this on the boat? is my fix sufficent for a few months? how does that mechanism work? from what i can see and from the manual, it just keeps the nut from turning. which it still does.
'69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 05-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Afourian MVP

Hello Boat,
I'd say your assessment is correct. That screw is only to hold the adjustment in forward, reverse is a different adjustment. I'll leave it to you to judge whether what's left of the ear is adequate to hold the screw - or you can submit a photo (recommended).
As for drilling/tapping the other ear in place, it's a matter of chip containment. You've got to set up a clean area. I've personally done drilling, tapping, and reaming inside USN submarine reduction gears using containment areas. We had to make the USN happy with what we were doing. In your case, you just personally have to be happy with what you're doing.
  #3   IP: 73.19.60.36
Old 05-04-2018, 04:58 PM

I'll get a pic up ASAP. its hard to explain. it seems to be holding ok. ive had her out and i havent had any slipping so far, the bolt is still in place and as tight as it was. fingers crossed. but you are right, keeping all of the little bits from drilling is going to be the key
  #4   IP: 155.186.126.158
Old 05-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Boat, get us a pic if you can. I will go out on a limb here. The bolt in question does not carry much of any load other than to keep the adjusting collar from rotating. If you have at least 70% of the thread diameter left I would not worry much about it, however I would surely install the bolt with some lok-tite for some additional confidence.

If you wish to drill and tap in place, Al's advise of containment should be followed. I have done things like this and it usually takes more time to get the containment figured out than the fix itself. PATIENCE

Dave Neptune
  #5   IP: 72.89.181.200
Old 05-05-2018, 11:22 AM

the screw was gone!

One of my concern would be the hunk of Metal that’s already in there in the shape of a screw. What happened to the screw that was missing. Did you get it out.
  #6   IP: 73.19.60.36
Old 05-05-2018, 11:40 AM

LOL No. its at the bottom somewhere. Tried using my hand but too big and my sausage fingers cant get in there. tried a magnet, but still didnt get it.
  #7   IP: 73.19.60.36
Old 05-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Boat, get us a pic if you can. I will go out on a limb here. The bolt in question does not carry much of any load other than to keep the adjusting collar from rotating. If you have at least 70% of the thread diameter left I would not worry much about it, however I would surely install the bolt with some lok-tite for some additional confidence.

If you wish to drill and tap in place, Al's advise of containment should be followed. I have done things like this and it usually takes more time to get the containment figured out than the fix itself. PATIENCE

Dave Neptune
Thats so true, i did lok-tite on it. i have t lest 70 percent, any ideas on coralling the chips and bits from drilling?