X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiron
    • Feb 2011

It won't start, and it won't stop!

So I finally got the last connections done and went to fire up my recently overhauled engine for the first time. I hit the start quickly and it turned, good sign, so I double checked everything and went for it. I held the start button listening for a sign of live but when it didn't fire up I let go of the button and the starter kept going. After jabbing the start button, fiddling with the key I ended up having to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

Reconnected the battery and tried again only to have the same experience. I am sure I have all the wires reconnected properly. I had changed the s terminal on the starter solenoid with the other terminal, other than that I am at a loss. Or I have a bad start button.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

IIRC you have the early starter. Just replace the solenoid and you should be ok. With age they can get sticky and I know of no way to get inside.

Comment

• chiron
      • Feb 2011

I actually have a late model starter on an early model block. So are you thinking the solenoid is not releasing? I'm having a hard time understanding how the solenoid would contunue when the ignition is turned off.

Does anyone know the part # for the late model starter soleniod that I can get at a local parts store?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Or you have a short in the start button or somewhere.
        Try bypassing the button, wiring, etc ->to starter and see what happens.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: Big wire on the back of the starter to solenoid perhaps.
        Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 06-14-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by chiron View Post
          I actually have a late model starter on an early model block. So are you thinking the solenoid is not releasing? I'm having a hard time understanding how the solenoid would contunue when the ignition is turned off.

Does anyone know the part # for the late model starter soleniod that I can get at a local parts store?
          NAPA # ST 124 or PepBoys 100z or Advance Auto S 100Z

Comment

• chiron
            • Feb 2011

That was the fix!!! I must have screwed something up when I messed with it the first time.

Comment

Working...
            X