What tools do I need/How should I prep for cleaning / fixing the carb this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

LS2 - John is spot on. The hot section is usually cobbled iron pipe (most of ours is 1-1/4"). So, when I did mine, I bought the Moyer exhaust flange, and then added locally sourced 1-1/4" pipe behind it, and then the Moyer injector piece to the 1-5/8" exhaust hose.

If you want some history on my manifold work, that is here...https://www.moyermarine.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6976

Here is Ajax's thread on hot sections and some manifold work too...http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9430

As usual around here, there is thread drift while we explore the issues, but we eventually get back to the task at hand!!
    Last edited by sastanley; 03-28-2016, 08:46 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• LemonShark2
      • Mar 2016

Clean carb and installed inline filter / flexible fuel hose

So mission Carb Clean was a success, I took it off, and the main jet was visibly clogged - cleaned everything I could without splitting it in half, popped it back on, and also installed the inline fuel filter and flexible fuel hose. Thanks all for your help! (now to start looking into the potential manifold leak...)

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Not Trying To Rain On The Parade.....

LS2
        How long have you owned this boat? Do you know how clean the fuel is? The goop in the main jet came from somewhere other then the carb. Here's what could happen if the fuel is scuzzy. The polishing filter you installed just before the carb will work for awhile then become so jammed up with crud that it will no longer pass fuel.
        If there is any question catch some fuel in a clear glass jar and hold it up to the sun and check for KRAP in the fuel.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• LemonShark2
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
          LS2
          How long have you owned this boat? Do you know how clean the fuel is? The goop in the main jet came from somewhere other then the carb. Here's what could happen if the fuel is scuzzy. The polishing filter you installed just before the carb will work for awhile then become so jammed up with crud that it will no longer pass fuel.
          If there is any question catch some fuel in a clear glass jar and hold it up to the sun and check for KRAP in the fuel.

TRUE GRIT
          The fuel totally does have KRAP in it. Ill also be looking to empty tank of all fuel, and clean the tank. Per another Catalina 27 owners suggestion - I will can clean the tank, over buying a new tank. New tank would require sawing out large section of the starboard birth.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

LS2, if you know the fuel is bad..get it out ASAP, or run the motor with an aux tank during testing..no sense in burning thru filters with known bad fuel. We have lots of posts on here about emptying tanks. I use the plastic orange/black hand pump from Wally World/AutoZone. it works fine, but takes a while (about one beer per 5 gal can. ). I put the pump's hose inside a piece of PVC pipe that's ID is just larger than the OD of the pump hose, so I have a rigid piece to control the location in the tank and suck out as much fuel as I can from the bottom. Usually, you can get a large enough access hole thru the gauge sender if your fuel fill has a 90° on it like mine.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Warning: Loaded question

Have you tried running the engine with the clean carb?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• LemonShark2
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Have you tried running the engine with the clean carb?
                I let it run on idle for about 30 minutes, it sounded great, and the heat was well regulated. I think changing the flex impeller did help. I also imagine that the inline filter is helping with the KRUD in the meantime, but Ill go ahead and drain out the bad fuel as soon as I get a chance.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Glad to hear it's running well. Once the bad fuel is removed and the tank mucked out I recommend another carb cleaning and filter replacement. Running filtered krap through a clean carb risks it not being clean anymore.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• LemonShark2
                    • Mar 2016

Thanks for a great weekend of boating!

Hi All,

Just wanted to extend my thanks for all the help over the past few weeks.

Last weekend, after adjusting my reversing gear, I was able to get out on the water, including over an hour of motoring, without a hitch.

I cant describe how great it is to be able to trust your engine! No problems with over heating, no problems with the fuel, started up first try every time.

As a final question for all, I was cruising at about 3 knots on a Catalina 27, with 7 people aboard. Does that sound like a reasonable speed under full power?

Thanks!

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by LemonShark2 View Post
                      Hi All,
                      As a final question for all, I was cruising at about 3 knots on a Catalina 27, with 7 people aboard. Does that sound like a reasonable speed under full power?
                      Thanks!
                      A "30 Hp" engine should be able to push a small boat like a Cat 27 at hull speed. Do you know what size prop you have? How cleans the boat bottom and prop?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• marthur
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2004

To confirm, my Catalina 27 is able to cruise at 6 knots with a two blade 12 x 7 Michigan Sailor prop. It will do better than that at full power.
                        Mike

Comment

• LemonShark2
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                          A "30 Hp" engine should be able to push a small boat like a Cat 27 at hull speed. Do you know what size prop you have? How cleans the boat bottom and prop?

TRUE GRIT
                          When I think a bit harder - maybe my speed meter Isn't reading properly... Ill try measuring MPH with my phone to confirm.

My bottom is covered in a bit of algae, but nothing too serious. Would algae create a significant reduction in speed? Its got a 3 bladed indigo prop, I'm not sure of the size.

On another note, is it possible Algae could be covering my depth sounder transducer? It reads a permanent 2'...

Comment

• LemonShark2
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by LemonShark2 View Post
                            When I think a bit harder - maybe my speed meter Isn't reading properly... Ill try measuring MPH with my phone to confirm.

My bottom is covered in a bit of algae, but nothing too serious. Would algae create a significant reduction in speed? Its got a 3 bladed indigo prop, I'm not sure of the size.

On another note, is it possible Algae could be covering my depth sounder transducer? It reads a permanent 2'...
                            Here's a picture of the prop the last time it got bottom paint back in 2014. It hasn't left fresh water since.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I got a little fouling on my Indigo.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Mo
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Jun 2007

Americoat #4

RC....Amercoat ABC # 4 bottom paint is what I put on mine. It's commercial, you may have to order it in. I've never had growth on the boat except one year I missed a spot. FWIW. Paint the shaft, leave then anodes paint free, paint the prop. No growth on prop at all either.

The pic is her coming out of the water after 7 months. Hardly even a slim on her and we've been getting some pretty good growth on the unprotected docks etc. Those that use interlux XXX etc are coated here after 6 months ( I generally go in a month earlier). Micron works just as well but is more expensive here. I pay about $170 a gallon and it lasts me 2-3 years....ablative and touch up where it wears through.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Mo; 04-16-2016, 12:02 AM.
                                Mo

"Odyssey"
                                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                                The optimist expects it to change.
                                The realist adjusts the sails.
                                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
                                X