X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bratina
    • Jun 2015

Changed plugs, RPM high

Until a week ago my engine was running very well - idle ~700, a little rich but I was happy with that. I changed my plugs, which I last did in 2015, switching back from Autolite to Champion (due to availability). They are gapped to 38 and I have points.

After I switched the plugs the engine idled around 1,200 rpm. I decided to adjust the idle mix and the set screw, and the engine would bog down and stall out ~900rpm.

Here's what's weird though - WOT in gear is now > 2,900 RPM (tied to the dock). I chickened out before hitting the stops but it felt as though it would have comfortably gone over 3k, which I've never gotten even close to before.

I have a clean prop (Lake Ontario, and splash was late April) but before now I'd top out at ~2,600 RPM on a really good day early season before the prop got dirty.

I didn't change anything apart from the plugs, and to my ear the engine sounds like it's at low idle when the tach shows ~1,100, and 3K really baffles me.

I have no reservations about taking the carb apart and checking it's clean, but before I do, is there even a small chance that the tach is randomly high? The only thing that points me that direction is the really high RPM at ~WOT.

Prop is a 12*X (I think 9).

Everything else is great, 40-60PSI oil pressure, temperatures after 45 minutes running were 130-140, a little smoke but nothing untoward.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Get another tach and verify the readings before you do anything else
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
    X