X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

I don't do this every time, but one of my birthday presents I asked for was for my wife to get me the smallest coffee filters available at the grocery store (I know, I am weird). I put those into the funnel when I add fuel so that they catch any debris that may be in the fuel or can. In the last 3 years, I bet I've put all but about 5 gallons of fuel into my boat from my own jerry cans that I lug to the boat. The only fuel issue I've ever had was teflon debris because I didn't know any better and tried to seal the fittings with teflon back in the day.

GBord, there has to be an easy way to keep those stupid mud daubers from 'dripping' into the carb... - Even a few pieces of tape over the flame arrestor (takes 30 seconds??) when you button up the boat just to see if you have stuff on top of the tape when you return.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by GBord View Post
      4) Each time I am finding BROWN GRIT not the black particles you would expect from line or gaskets in pump. ...
      Do you have a steel tank? To me, brown grit suggests rust particles.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Gbord, what carb do you have? Is it the early one with the adj jet facing downward or one of the newer models?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• GBord
          Frequent Contributor
          • Nov 2011

I have a late model carb and a plastic gas tank. I found this at moyer marine:
          Product No. - FCAR_12_421
          Flame arrestor assembly with PCV system - late model (aftermarket)

This flame arrestor assembly is intended to serve as a replacement for the OEM flame arrestor element in cases where the original element is lost or damaged. It is Coast Guard approved and incorporates a crankcase recirculation feature to draw fumes from the crankcase for reburning. The kit mounts on top of the original late model flame arrestor housing.
          Price - $185.00

It has a round flame arrestor with the vent on the side which would solve my problem but $185 is a bit much. Will try the coffee can fix and report back when I have it installed.

Also found a description of the internal pressure of the carb at:

If I follow this description it does look like a very fine particle like the dirt dobers nest is made of could find it's way into the carb and stop up the small ports.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Hmmm

GBord, well that is one way that the nest could feed the bowl. If the dust is raining down while the carb is sucking it could get a bit past the gap, but I doubt it. However in your case I hope that is it. Put a piece of cardboard over the area and see what happens, may be worth a try.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
            X