Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Electrical

#1   IP: 71.117.67.159
Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
duncan59

how to turn the engine over to eyeball the valves

I am pretty much a novice at mechanical work, having got started on my A4 a few months back. I have had the head off for two months now, and before I put it back, I want to turn the engine over to clean around the valves. So can anyone tell me how to turn it with no fuel line connected, and no alternator? I have tried to turn it over from the flywheel end, but cannot move it (have no crank). I have new batteries, and all my wiring is labeled. So which wires would I reconnect to the solenoid to turn the engine over for a second from the starter motor alone? and does everything else stay disconnected? Any tips?
Many thanks for any help
Duncan
  #2   IP: 89.251.61.34
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Hello Duncan,

I'm not sure why you couldn't turn the engine over from the flywheel end with the head removed (no compression). I did this with the head removed and alternator belt loose- my engine has a large nut on the end of the drive shaft just beyond the flywheel . By putting a large wrench on the nut, I was able to turn the engine easily and watch the movement of the valves and pistons.

I was also able to grip the flywheel and rotate it by hand, albeit with some effort.

Kelly
  #3   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 AM

Duncan,

You should be able to turn your engine over with the flywheel with the head off and no compression. Is it possible the reversing gear is not in neutral?

Don
  #4   IP: 71.117.67.159
Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
duncan59

Thanks for your replies. I am pretty sure that my transmission is in neutral because I played around to find it, behind the detent of forward, not too far back, etc.
I didn't take off the flywheel, not really wanting to get into more mischief at this point, plus the lower bolts are hard to reach. There is a hole in the flywheel cover, but no large nut to turn. There is the end of a rod of sorts with an indented end and a couple of small "arms" that I can see, which I imagine the cranking handle would grab and rotate. I can't really get any kind of wrench in there. I did manage to grab it once with a vice grip or something and turn it a quarter turn, but it was not a decent grip and I'm not quite sure how I did it.
So can I turn the engine over with my electrical hand trigger (or a screwdriver)? I just want to know which wires to reconnect (they are all connected at the coil or the panel and taped over at their loose ends. The dist. cap is off.)
Thanks
Duncan
  #5   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Duncan,

You can run the starter by connecting the big battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid to the small "S" terminal directly below.

Don