X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikke60
    • Jul 2007

trans

looking at a P30 with a atomic 4. the owner tells me that he had an issue with reverse and ended up breaking the shift lever off the boat. Ant chance the tranny is not the issue,rather the cable jambed,and, if it is the tranny,what will a rebuild cost me? thanks, mike s
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

Hey Mikke,

Does the shaft turn?

The tranny on the A-4 is amazingly simple and reliable. The reversing gear is one of the most trouble-free components of the engine, according to the Moyer Marine A-4 Manual. I will not bother you with the mechanics of the transmission, but simply put, reverse is applied via the shift lever by squeezing a metal band around the gear housing. This band occasionally needs to be adjusted. If the shaft turns by hand (in neutral, of course), you might just need to adjust the reversing gear brake band. It could also be a jammed or frozen cable. The shifter cable was frozen when I got my boat. Because the Previous Owner couldn't get it into gear, I was able to use this information in my price. Replacing the shifter could be a small chore and not cheap. A new shifter runs anywhere from $300 to $500. I've priced them. A new cable runs $75 to $150.
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Simple

Mike, if it runs you can still operate the shifting arm on the trans to test. You can get a feel without. Reverse is nothing more than MANUAL pressure on the SHIFTER collapsing the band to hold in reverse, good reason for a failed cable! In forward the tranny should lock in with a felt clunk as the detent holds the pawls to keep pressure on the clutches.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
        Mike, if it runs you can still operate the shifting arm on the trans to test. You can get a feel without. Reverse is nothing more than MANUAL pressure on the SHIFTER collapsing the band to hold in reverse, good reason for a failed cable! In forward the tranny should lock in with a felt clunk as the detent holds the pawls to keep pressure on the clutches.Dave Neptune
        +1
        Release the cable from the tranny and shift by hand.
        This way you'll be able to see if there is a problem with the cable or the tranny.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mikke60 View Post
          looking at a P30 with a atomic 4. the owner tells me that he had an issue with reverse and ended up breaking the shift lever off the boat. Ant chance the tranny is not the issue,rather the cable jambed,and, if it is the tranny,what will a rebuild cost me? thanks, mike s
          He probably thought "reverse" engaged like "forward" does - leaned on it and broke the lever or the cable - all the while thinking there is something wrong with the reverse feature???

Comment

• prstack7
            • Aug 2011

simple adjustment

I have a P30. He probably broke the shifter because he just kept pulling the arm when it didn't go into reverse. Just need to adjust the bands to "squeeze" on the tranny or adjust the cable length.

Comment

• smosher
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2006

I also have a p30 and I did have to adjust the band to use reverse but
              this is with a pedestal shifter

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X