Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 45.48.80.165
Old 05-10-2020, 05:56 PM

V Drive & reversing gear - Advice needed.

Hello, more advice is needed. I have a boat with a blown motor in it, looks like it used a V drive, the replacement motor I bought seems to be direct drive.
Im reading through the overhaul section on the reversing gear removal. Just curious. Would I pull off the old transmission from my motor on my boat then install it on the replacement motor.

The old motor is the reddish pink, the replacement is blue. See pics. Thanks. I'm just not sure if I could go straight drive or go through the hassle of hooking up the V drive. I'm not a mechanic, although I do have the manual, is this job worthy of hiring out?

Edit: I keep running into issues, from my other posts, I discovered a lot of rust in the head under the thermostat. I bought the motor for $1000, now I'm thinking I am just going to keep spinning my wheels. All this time and energy could be justified potentially by buying a newly rebuilt engine, and I could just say F* it, and forget about all this crap.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rando1201; 05-10-2020 at 05:59 PM.