Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 45.48.80.165
Old 05-10-2020, 05:56 PM

V Drive & reversing gear - Advice needed.

Hello, more advice is needed. I have a boat with a blown motor in it, looks like it used a V drive, the replacement motor I bought seems to be direct drive.
Im reading through the overhaul section on the reversing gear removal. Just curious. Would I pull off the old transmission from my motor on my boat then install it on the replacement motor.

The old motor is the reddish pink, the replacement is blue. See pics. Thanks. I'm just not sure if I could go straight drive or go through the hassle of hooking up the V drive. I'm not a mechanic, although I do have the manual, is this job worthy of hiring out?

Edit: I keep running into issues, from my other posts, I discovered a lot of rust in the head under the thermostat. I bought the motor for $1000, now I'm thinking I am just going to keep spinning my wheels. All this time and energy could be justified potentially by buying a newly rebuilt engine, and I could just say F* it, and forget about all this crap.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rando1201; 05-10-2020 at 05:59 PM.
  #2   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 05-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Afourian MVP

The BIG question here (in my mind) is whether the blue engine is better than the pink one. I'm not going to try to answer that question here.
Yes, the transmission outputs are different. Pink engine has a spline output for the V-drive. Blue one has a keyed output for direct drive. Unless you're going to rebuild the interior of your boat, you're going to stay with the V-drive.
Easiest way to get the blue engine to have a spline output is to transplant the transmission internals from the pink engine to the blue engine. Not a bad job. Caveat is to ONLY transplant the internals. Don't try to swap transmission casings too, as the the dowel pins won't line up. Any questions (other than blue vs pink) get back to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Schober For This Useful Post:
Ando (05-10-2020)
  #3   IP: 45.48.80.165
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Schober View Post
The BIG question here (in my mind) is whether the blue engine is better than the pink one. I'm not going to try to answer that question here.
Yes, the transmission outputs are different. Pink engine has a spline output for the V-drive. Blue one has a keyed output for direct drive. Unless you're going to rebuild the interior of your boat, you're going to stay with the V-drive.
Easiest way to get the blue engine to have a spline output is to transplant the transmission internals from the pink engine to the blue engine. Not a bad job. Caveat is to ONLY transplant the internals. Don't try to swap transmission casings too, as the the dowel pins won't line up. Any questions (other than blue vs pink) get back to me.
Yes!!! Thankyou. Well the red motor is seized according to the seller. So I'll probably get the crane to yank it out. Then start the transfer in my garage
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando1201 For This Useful Post:
Ando (05-10-2020)
  #4   IP: 108.185.228.107
Old 05-10-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando1201 View Post
Edit: I keep running into issues, from my other posts, I discovered a lot of rust in the head under the thermostat. I bought the motor for $1000, now I'm thinking I am just going to keep spinning my wheels. All this time and energy could be justified potentially by buying a newly rebuilt engine, and I could just say F* it, and forget about all this crap.
Been there...kinda still there (and it’s getting strangely comfy). I just keep telling myself, “it’s a good hobby”, which keeps me going. When I got into this, the engine was totally unfamiliar territory for me and that caused me to lack the piece of mind and confidence that is so critical while out on the water (with family, kids etc.). I had I no mechanical experience either and I’m still happIly learning thanks to the amazing people on this forum...and patience. Lots of patience. Rust can be an issue in certain places on the engine and not in other places. The Inside of the thermostat for example on mine isn’t too different from yours. And if you mean rust on the head, I’d say that the head is a pretty thick piece of metal and that the surface rust can be handled. I think, and I could be wrong, that rust on the head could be an issue For example when it causes the nuts to fuse to the head making them difficult to remove, but even then, fixable.

Keep at it and thank you for the very interesting question about transferring a v-drive from one engine to another. Very interesting. I’m still learning
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ando For This Useful Post:
Administrator (05-11-2020), Rando1201 (05-11-2020)