Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 142.108.224.51
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Reversing gear adjustment and lubrication

Hello Don, just a couple of ad-on questions to the reversing gear topic. I am in the process of adjusting the band and found it a bid of a challenge on my boat (C&C 27) to see everything that is in the gear housing (using two mirrors and extra lighting) But I believe I have identified the band (close to the inward housing) and should be able to make the adjustment.

My question is: how much oil should be in the housing? I have approx. 1 inch at the bottom with the dipstick indicating the proper amount for the engine.

Also, the cable attached to the lever has provision for adjustment, is this just for the tension in the cable or can it also be used to adjust the gears?
Last but not least: what is your recommended grade of engine oil? there apprears to be different opinions. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Your response is much appreciated.

heinz
  #2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Heinz,

Your oil level in the aft housing sounds normal. Simply keep the oil level to the "FULL" mark on the dip stick.

The turnbuckle at the end of the cable is adjustable to provide the appropriate cable travel. In general, the cable length should be adjusted so that you can engage forward just before the forward extension of the
cable is reached.

We continue to recommend (as did Universal throughout most of the 1970's) that any good quality 30 weight detergent oil be used in the Atomic 4. In their later years, Universal also included multi-viscosity oils as a recommendation in their owner's manuals, so you could consider 10-30 multi-viscosity oil, especially if you're operating throughout the winter months.

We don't have any experience with the newer synthetic or other low friction oils (and additives), but it has been reported to us that most of these products state on their containers that they are not recommended in cases where an engine has an integrated clutch mechanism built into it. The concern here is that the improved coefficient of friction in these oils can make adjusting of the forward clutch mechanism a bit more problematic than usual.

Don