X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rando1201
    • Apr 2020

Stumped

Hello. I am trying to get my A4 started. Yesterday I was checking spark and my engine fired and sputtered with one spark plug out and testing spark. It did this on each spark test. Does this indicate anything? When i put all the plugs back in, it does not fire.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Sounds like timing to me.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Rando1201
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Sounds like timing to me.
      I have an electronic ignition, is it find tdc, then point rotor and tab away from block, then adjust position of the distributor?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

More than that. It is finding TDC on the compression stroke for cylinder #1 then making certain the rotor inside the distributor points to the post on the cap where the #1 spark plug wire is connected. From there, confirming the firing order is correct.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

attached is a written procedure for finding TDC and HERE is a video by Don of the timing procedure.
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

First make sure you have the plug wires led correctly between the plugs and the distributor. It is pretty easy to get them mixed up. I label my wires, and have labels on the distributor cap, to make absolutely positively sure.

Comment

• Surcouf
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • May 2018

And it is OK if you discovered you are 1-2-3-4 and not 1-2-4-3... it happens to good people...
              Surcouf
              A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Rando1201
                • Apr 2020

Ya I've gone through the whole plug coordination. 1,2,4,3 . I did the timing test like in Don's video with the continuity tester. Only thing is I did a reversing gear swap and dont have all the bolts in the housing. Initially I jumped the gun and didn't have the bolt in by the water pump and the housing that holds the distributor fell off.

So maybe if I pop all the bolts in the housing for the transmission it will give me more compression. Just guessing here.

And I also noticed that my coil is getting hot. I tested ohms and both tests are good.

I even borrowed a carb off a new friends boat and still nothing. Well not nothing. It does tease me and sputter up.

I'm normally a pretty good shade tree mechanic but dang man I'm getting my ass kicked.

Comment

• Rando1201
                  • Apr 2020

Update. The A4 lives!
                  Backstory. Totally spaced this, when I initially got the motor I bought gasket material. I had my lady cut the gasket because she does crafting for work in the visual department. She got stuck because the heat protected gasket material was tough for her to cut. So I got angry. Slapped on the gasket without the hole cut to the exhaust. I must of thought I'd put it on, then fix it the next day.

I spaced it, until I pulled the plugs out one by one and the motor started right up with a plug missing. Now I'm really stumped. Hitting up all my friends, mentors, no one had a solid answer. So I thought to myself well it's a used motor, so let's check for blockage in the exhaust.

I pulled the exhaust off and saw the gasket. Oh no you idiot! The engine could be in the boat by now. I pulled the gasket off and the engine fired right up!

On the positive side I can now:

Swap direct drive for v drive
                  Set timing - properly
                  Test a coil
                  Rebuild a carburetor (did this maybe 30 times adjusting the float.

Id like to find another non running motor and fix it up.

Comment

• tenders
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Congratulations!

That is probably not the worst mistake ever made. Not even bottom decile.

Comment

• Surcouf
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • May 2018

exhaust blockage is one of the potential culprit. This one is indeed a little more creative!!
                      And your oil is likely loaded with gas now. Tt is going to run hard with the crank case sucking vapors of fuel...

So: Fuel - Air - Ignition - Timing (including spark plug order) - Exhaust free of plugs
                      Surcouf
                      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Rando1201
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by tenders View Post
                        Congratulations!

That is probably not the worst mistake ever made. Not even bottom decile.
                        Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
                        exhaust blockage is one of the potential culprit. This one is indeed a little more creative!!
                        And your oil is likely loaded with gas now. Tt is going to run hard with the crank case sucking vapors of fuel...

So: Fuel - Air - Ignition - Timing (including spark plug order) - Exhaust free of plugs
                        Maybe I should change the oil to be on the safe side. I just ran it. My neat adjustable main jet works like a charn

Comment

• Al Schober
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jul 2009

Already posted on FB, may as well post here...

No, that gasket with no hole is a feature. Keeps that pesky exhaust water from getting back into the cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                          X