• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

Thank you Neil.
    I am going to te-wife point to point, those plugs are already gone. Hopefully I took enough notes; but let’s be honest, this is pretty simple system at the end of the day. But no way I make it look as nice as the one in your picture.
    I have order one of those «*common bus bar*» for the grounds. There were probably 10 cables bolted to the flywheel cover.

Thank you!!
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Surcouf
      • May 2018

So on the to-do list before being able to put the boat back in the water:
      - shaft packing. First time for me, went OK.
      - the exhaust discharge flex pipe... this is another story. I was thinking of leaving the existing one, saving a few bucks, and let the next owner take care of that.... but honestly with the engine out, it was a unique occasion to do so, as access to the «*end of the mine*» is a nightmare with the engine in place in a Catalina 27. So after 1 hour of crawling back and forth to gather more tools, of swearing, sweating, cramping and suffering, the bas**** is out. And it is not pretty: this flex pipe was completely collapsed the last 5 inches before the hull pass-trough. A serious restriction for exhaust flow. Glad I decided to tackle that one.
      Attached Files
      Surcouf

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
        Thank you Neil.
        I am going to re-wire point to point, those plugs are already gone. Hopefully I took enough notes; but let’s be honest, this is pretty simple system at the end of the day. But no way I make it look as nice as the one in your picture.
        Don't sell yourself short. I believe in my heart that you and anyone else on this forum can achieve a similar result with a little care and planning. The pictured boat was a Cal 29 owned by forum member Ezra Kortz and with the help of another member the rewire took only a single day's work which included a very nice lunch break.

Having everything on hand is a huge factor toward success. String the wires into a harness* with ample length, enclose it in wire loom, lace it into the boat training the wire ends gracefully to their destinations and connect the ends. Have a variety of end terminals, shrink tube, soldering iron and solder (if you like) and Ty-wraps handy and enjoy the day.

* I like to use a 2x8 plank as a work surface to pre-assemble the harness. Using nails or screws as anchoring posts start at one end and identify it on the plank as Instrument Panel with a Sharpie, then do the same at various lengths for the starter, coil, alternator, water and oil senders. Do the wire loom encasement on the plank too. Don't skimp on wire, it is better to throw 2 feet away than be an inch too short.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Surcouf
          • May 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Don't sell yourself short. I believe in my heart that you and anyone else on this forum can achieve a similar result with a little care and planning. The pictured boat was a Cal 29 owned by forum member Ezra Kortz and with the help of another member the rewire took only a single day's work which included a very nice lunch break.
          Thank you!! but the race is now on, between the coming week-end and me. Not sure if the chances are very high for me to combine a 5 days working week, an engine currently sitting in my garage and not yet fully benched, an electrical system to be partially re-done and the desire to sail for Memorial Day. All bets are off!
          Last edited by Surcouf; 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
          Surcouf

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Here's How I Rewired My CAT 27*

From the cable. There was plenty of wire in the coil of wire under the cockpit to make the cable. Temporally tape the cable under the starboard side of the cockpit sole. Adjust and cut the wire lengths, remove the cable and crimp, solder, heat shrink the end connectors, reinstall the cable permanently and hook everything up.

For the oil pressure gauge I did not include the wire in the cable. I didn't want a wire across the top of engine where I might snag it with tool. Instead I ran it along the top of the cockpit locker to the gauge. Held the wire in place with tape every foot or so then put silicon adhesive between the tape and took the tape off the next day.

It took me a bit more than a day to do all this.

ex TRUE GRIT

*hull #4446 built in 1979

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Congrats on getting her running. If you really just want to get moving for Memorial Day, I'd cut the plugs off and butt splice the existing wires..quickest and cheapest. However, I bet you will find some corrosion creeping up the wires, so hopefully you'll have enough length to get good contact.

Another inspirational pic, here is my re-wire. I did as you were thinking as well..the port terminals are ALL ground, and the stbd with colors is the engine harness. Not quite as neat as Neil's work..his standards are high!
              Attached Files
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Surcouf
                • May 2018

So:
                - 750 rpm idle
                - oil pressure around 35 psi at idle, 40rpm at a higher speed
                - compression 95-100-100-105

A4 final test

Now disassembly and in the boat tomorrow or Friday. No pressure for Memorial Day...
                Thank you to all Afourians for your help. Would not have been possible without you.

One question I need to ask, because English is not my first language: what does «*Afourian*» mean??
                Surcouf

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

One question I need to ask, because English is not my first language: what does «*Afourian*» mean??
                  I made it up: Members of the fraternity/sorority who "love" their Atomic 4's. You register as a forum member. You're an Afourian.

I made up the MVP stuff, too.

Bill

Comment

• ronstory
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Feb 2016

A person stubborn enough and crazy enough to keep a circa 1955 gasoline engine that most would consider obsolete in top running condition in a world full of diesel sailboats... because it's cool.
                    Thanks,
                    Ron
                    Portland, OR

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

I've always been interested in the evolution of this little motor, so I guess that makes me a "Californian, Afourian, Historian". Bada,Boom.
                      Tom

Comment

• Surcouf
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                        I made it up: Members of the fraternity/sorority who "love" their Atomic 4's. You register as a forum member. You're an Afourian.

I made up the MVP stuff, too.

Bill
                        I was expecting a long story involving post-regatta discussion, evenings cocktails, and marina BBQ...
                        Surcouf

Comment

• Surcouf
                          • May 2018

Thank you to all those you contributed to that...

My next step. Here again a first for me
                          Surcouf

Comment

• Administrator
                            MMI Webmaster
                            • Oct 2004

I was expecting a long story involving post-regatta discussion, evenings cocktails, and marina BBQ...
                            If you must know, there may have been some cheap box wine involved.

Bill

Comment

• Surcouf
                              • May 2018

Getting there.. step by step.
                              Not as fun as Joe «*riding his A4*» on a floating platform pulled by another boat...
                              Attached Files
                              Surcouf

Comment

• Surcouf
                                • May 2018

So after my coupling issues, and my mounting bolt issue...

I spent half of yesterday and around 10 hours today sorting out all the electrical issues, cabling etc.... including 90 minutes to flip the water jacket plate (trying to save the gasket...).

Conclusion: my Memorial Day sailing plan transformed itself into a day of wrenching, cutting, soldering, connecting, investigating years of ugly electrical modifications, and removing useless cables.

So at the end of the day, engine cranks OK. And I only shorted a few wires (hint: always shut 12V off when changing instrument panel bulbs)

This is not Neil’s level, but a serious improvement
                                Attached Files
                                Surcouf

Comment

Working...
                                X