• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Riser material - latest wisdom

I was so happy my engine fired right up last weekend. This weekend I leaned on the exhaust pipe and the end of the riser broke right off - rusted to pieces
    I can make another one from Home Depot black iron, but I am getting the idea that the quality of said iron goes down every time I do this exercise
    So besides for the tried, true, and cheap way out, I have:
    1. Brass. Seems to violate some USCG/ABYC standard. Nut sure about longevity.
    2. Stainless. This will cost a bit more. It might last forever and then again I think someone got 5 years out of stainless before it corroded apart. Any ideas on 304 vs. 316?
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

There are many, many posts in this website on making a new exhaust system - AFAIAC this is a place where it's penny wise-pound foolish.

MMI has a number of cost effective solutions to the exhaust rebuild issue...I would use them if I were you.

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

I did mine out of stainless. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has the pipe and fittings at the best price I've found for stainless. And since they're in NJ, here on the east coast we get very rapid delivery times.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Ajax
        • Jul 2011

That sucks, Joe.

How many years have you been getting out of black iron pipe?
        What is the typical lifespan among A-4 enthusiasts?

I've owned my boat for closing in on 4 years. I'm sure the exhaust is many years older, but the boat was also on the hard, winterized with fresh water for some years before I bought it.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I think I am running around 4-5 years.

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
          That sucks, Joe.

How many years have you been getting out of black iron pipe?
          What is the typical lifespan among A-4 enthusiasts?

I've owned my boat for closing in on 4 years. I'm sure the exhaust is many years older, but the boat was also on the hard, winterized with fresh water for some years before I bought it.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

FWIW, I am on my 4th exhaust now at 31 years. That is the one it came with and the 3 I have cobbled. One galvanized and 2 black pipe. The one running is on it's third year now.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Ajax
              • Jul 2011

Ok, thanks. This will help me to not be too surprised when mine fails.

I don't have the vertical standpipe that you guys seem to have.
              I just have a short, black iron elbow bolted to the exhaust manifold.

I *think* I get away with this, because the exhaust manifold is above the waterline (and the exhaust port on the transom is definitely above the water.)

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

If MM made something that fit my boat, I would buy it

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
                There are many, many posts in this website on making a new exhaust system - AFAIAC this is a place where it's penny wise-pound foolish.

MMI has a number of cost effective solutions to the exhaust rebuild issue...I would use them if I were you.

Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Traditionally the risers were failing on the downside where the water teed in. The water hitting the far side of the pipe would eventually eat it away. I redesigned the riser to inject at the top with an internal pipe aiming down and that seemed to fix that. Now what died was the very bottom where the hose connects. The part of the pipe the hose clamped to rusted away. If I actually could get that part to unscrew I could do a $3 repair, but I doubt it will come apart. The factory original exhaust lasted from 1973 to about 1985, so the iron seems to be getting worse.
                  I actually was thinking I migght take the riser off this spring anyway and remake it just as preventitive maintenance.
                  Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  FWIW, I am on my 4th exhaust now at 31 years. That is the one it came with and the 3 I have cobbled. One galvanized and 2 black pipe. The one running is on it's third year now.

Dave Neptune
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• HOTFLASH
                    • Oct 2004

A vote for SS Schedule 80

Mine are McMaster-Carr SS Schedule 80 (thick walls) for both hot section and for approx 2 feet post water-injection, paired with the MM SS "Tartan" standpipe. Took me a couple of years! to figure this out. Worth it. Beautiful.

I recommend this setup with the MM standpipe for post 1974 Tartan 27's. (These have the redesigned cockpit and a mounting area on engine room side of forward cockpit bulkhead). May work for other T27's too. It better last a while.
                    Mary

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

How long will it last?..black iron.

I did a little search here on this sight and figured out that I actually rebuilt the hot exhaust in
                      - September 2010...used black iron and had it done start to finish in 3 hrs...boat back operational.

- November 2014 ... used black iron again and it took the better part of a day because I was having trouble finding black iron. I ended up going to EMCO, a plumbing supplier, and got some. After that it took no time and she was all back together.

The first black iron hot exhaust I made lasted 4 yrs and 2 month (I had thought previously it was 5 yrs and 2 months).

Keep in mind my boat, for seven months of the year, is started and used almost every day. So the pipe heats up and cools etc almost daily...in a salt environment I'm not sure if that is a factor in longevity. Hopefully, the pipe I've gotten this time is of better quality...or it could be more of the same, who knows.

There was no SS or Brass available or it would have been made of that. Keep in mind that I keep the boat operational and had the rusted/ leaking exhaust off, rebuilt and replaced in less than a day both times.
                      Last edited by Mo; 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM.
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Two years ago I rebuilt my exhaust from black iron. I checked online, think I ordered it there too. Pluming dot com, maybe.
                        I got 10 years out of my last rebuild.

The prices for brass pipe were more then for SS. BTW

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I got my riser off today. It seems in good shape except the end.
                          Attached Files
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

A close nipple is always the weak link in a hot section. If possible try using a street 90 on the new one.

Comment

• Administrator
                              MMI Webmaster
                              • Oct 2004

A close nipple is always the weak link...
                              That has been my experience as well.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X