X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajgaines
    • Aug 2019

Attachment for hose for flushing

I wanted to build an attachment for a hose so that I can hook up a hose and clean out the cooling passages each time I use the engine and pump raw water in.

Do any of you have suggestions for attachments that will do this well? Also, is there any danger to attaching a hose, turning it on, and running the engine?
  • Ando
    • Jul 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	4817E1B4-E303-4167-A2C6-578B2BB7DFB1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	200750

This is my set up.

Re your question as to whether it is advisable to run fresh water through the cooling system using a hose that is connected to a fresh water spout, the answer (based on my research) is no. Rather, you would use a similar set up as the one pictured and use a 5 gallon bucket as the source of fresh water so that the engine can take the water from the bucket when it needs it rather than having fresh water forced into the cooling system. I’m getting old so the details may be a bit off but, if I’m not mistaken, that’s the ideal way to go about the task.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

As Ando said, you want the engine to draw the water in at its own rate, not pump it in under city water pressure. Here is a picture of my inlet.

Note to Ando:
      If I'm seeing it correctly in your picture, no PVC fittings below the water line under any circumstances.
      Attached Files
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        Note to Ando:
        If I'm seeing it correctly in your picture, no PVC fittings below the water line under any circumstances.
        Thanks, Neil. I had no idea and will swap it to a non pvc.

Comment

• ajgaines
          • Aug 2019

As Ando said, you want the engine to draw the water in at its own rate, not pump it in under city water pressure. Here is a picture of my inlet.

Note to Ando:
          Super helpful both of you! So it looks like you have a hose attachment so you connect a hose from there and then into a 5 gallon bucket? I have a 2 gallon bucket but I find it sucks that up in about 10 seconds.

Comment

• ajgaines
            • Aug 2019

Note to Ando:
            Whats the cylinder in the background with the "et" text on it?

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

Facet fuel pump.
              Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Ando
                • Jul 2019

+1 on that...the “et” is that last two letters of “facet”, Which is a fuel pump Mfg

As to your questions, yes, I have a hose attached to mine. As you can see on mine, the end of the hose is such that I can attach a city water line to it which is what the PO used to do and is a no no. As to bucket size, use 5 gal
                Last edited by Ando; 05-12-2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X