Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > The Wish List

#1   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
The Wish List revisited

Earlier this week the topic of new product submission was raised again and in addition to bumping this forum category I wanted to mention a few things to think about when posting an idea.

As a case study here is a post that appeared in this category 6 years ago by Admin Bill:
Quote:
I wish...

Someone could think of a way to add a fuel polishing system to an A4 installation.

Such a system would use a stand-alone Racor filter and a continuous duty fuel pump (also stand-alone) to recirculate filtered fuel back into the tank. A plus would be the capability to use the polishing system as a back-up to the engine's primary system. A timer would be nice, too.

Major technical challenge: How do you plumb the pickup and return at the fuel tank?
Well, it turns out that I have such a system that works beautifully, is easy to install, is low on cost, small packaging so it's easy to warehouse and easy to ship. It seemed to me to meet all the criteria of a viable product so I contacted MMI in the background and submitted the design drawings of a variety of installations (electric primary pump, mechanical primary pump, single tank, two tanks and all combinations) plus a bill of materials for the kit.

Needless to say, it did not make it past the MMI evaluation process.

My point is there's a big difference between an idea, even a good one, and a viable product. Warehouse shelf space costs money and inventory ties up money so besides being a clever idea the item needs market appeal. Your idea may be a great one but don't get in a funk if it doesn't make it to the catalog. There could be any number of reasons beyond the initial concept.

My thoughts after the polishing system experience were sort of a post-sortie debriefing.
  • Strike one, marketability. There are few if any (other than Admin Bill and me) that have an interest in such a system.
  • Strike two, common availability. My kit was nothing more than a valve, a little hose and a few fittings. What's to prevent any of several creatively thinking members from strolling the aisle at the local hardware store to make their own system?
  • Strike three, USCG compliance. We're talking gasoline transfer in a boat. There's a litany of USCG requirements and who needs the risk of running afoul of those guys?
So, please keep in mind there are a lot of factors involved in a new product beyond the initial concept.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #2   IP: 174.94.32.10
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Afourian MVP

I know where the centre of the universe lies!

www.youtube.com/embed/IjstFJ_zETE

#3   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Yes indeed....C&C I had to give you a "helpful" rating for that. It all looks wonderful at the start...LOL

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.