• hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Yeah, that's Hanley - the garden boy.

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

That first picture, looking out the windshield of the car towards a wake, threw me a bit.

Way to go!

Bill

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Must be the concern for all these A-4's that keeps you trim

Regards,

Art

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Wasn't that small one the famous Cappquiddick ferry ?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

That's "Chappaquiddick". No wonder they call it "Chappy"!

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Sweet..>I have only seen 20 seconds of the video, but I can tell you Boston is one of my favorite bands!!

edit - awesome!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• UsailIbail!
                • Sep 2010

Parts Cleaning?

Hi Everyone-

My friend is coming over to take apart the new engine... Does anybody know a good parts-cleaning solution? We're hoping to have some pictures up this afternoon from it...

Ebben
                sigpic We're not "bottom feeders"... we're "SALVAGE EXPERTS"!

Copy and paste this link into your browser bar to see a slideshow of our $1.00 sailboat journey:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJCdiUu_cw

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

A good engine parts cleaner is stoddard solvent. This is also called "thinner" or "paint thinner" This is from Wikipedia:
                  Mineral Spirits, also called Stoddard solvent [CAS 8052-41-3][1], is a petroleum distillate commonly used as a paint thinner and mild solvent. Outside of the United States and Canada, it is referred to as white spirit. In industry, mineral spirits is used for cleaning and degreasing machine tools and parts. According to Wesco, a supplier of solvents and cleaning equipment, mineral spirits "are especially effective in removing oils, greases, carbon, and other material from metal." Mineral spirits may also be used in conjunction with cutting oil as a thread cutting and reaming lubricant.

A paint store will have it in plastic one-gallon sized jugs.
                  remember, it is is an irritant so use rubber gloves. It is also still flamable so treat it like that.
                  Put all your oily rags in something metal and keep them away from the house.
                  Never, Never use gasoline! Bad, bad!

the solvent will evaporate after a few days and your parts will start to rust. Spray some WD-40 on them after you get them clean.
                  Keep all the parts in order and take LOTS of pictures while you take it apart. Hey, make a photo movie for us again and use it as an essay and get some school credit too

Russ
                  sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

As Russ mentioned, be very very careful with Mineral Spirits and the like.
                    A crumpled up rag or paper can spontaneously combust!

Comment

• ArtJ
                      • Sep 2009

As Russ mentioned, be very very careful with Mineral Spirits and the like.
                      A crumpled up rag or paper can spontaneously combust!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

In recent years I have resorted to the use of diesel in my parts washer tub. It's relatively cheap, not so combustible as gasoline, does a good job when teamed up with a brush, and is a lot easier on the hands than parts washing fluid from the NAPA. But my wife thinks I smell like a dirty garage mechanic when I come upstairs (she's right).

Comment

• UsailIbail!
                          • Sep 2010

After the parts are cleaned with mineral spirits, do we need to wash them before painting? With Anything?

Should we use a primer paint before Moyer's Spraypaint?

I had horrible luck removing the bolts from the water jacket plate, almost all of them were rotten. Any advice to drill and tap?

Otherwise everything is going fine. Pictures soon.

Ebben

Copy and paste this link into your browser bar to see a slideshow of our $1.00 sailboat journey:

Comment

• ArtJ
                            • Sep 2009

Speak to Ken at Moyer parts. He has replacement stud kits that you will need

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Ebben - If you have broken cap screws from the water jacket side plate, first prize is to carefully drill into the broken piece in the block - dead center, very important! - then retap usiing a 5/16" NC. If this fails the next thing is to go up a size to 3/8" NC. If you still cannot get a tight thread then order the kit from MM for water jacket side plate stud repair. The principle here is to always avoid removing block material whenever possible. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• UsailIbail!
                                • Sep 2010

Drilling advice?

From Jay; (Ebbens Dad),
                                We could use some tips on technique when drilling and tapping, ie. drill sizes. Also typically the landing area in the hole for the drill bit has a harder steel mound that you are trying to center on which is always difficult. Any ideas for Ebben to make this work the first attempt would be appreciated! He does not always listen well to the 'ole man - like when he and his 12 year old shop mate spun off each of the bolts in the first place with an HD (did I say HEAVEY DUTY?) pneumatic torq wrench! I had to laugh out loud when Hanley said the "First Prize" for this disaster is the repair... Ha!

We'll get through it one way or another...

One more question; are there any thoughts on the best black paint for the other parts ie. starter etc., is Rustolium fine or is there more to "marine" rattle paint than we are aware of.

We hope to get all the way down to the crankshaft within the next two weeks.. clean up the oil ports, measure tolerances etc. Looks like a gasket set for the young man for the holidays!

Thanks for your help as always folks!

Comment

Working...
                                X