X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Fire Breathing Atomic 4?

Reading another post on an engine teardown got me thinking...
    Why two head gaskets?

Upping the compression would, as I understand it, give us a little more power. I've never been one to turn down a little extra HP! My engine is pushing 13000 lbs of Alberg 35.

If the engine is overbuilt/understressed, this shouldn't give it any problems. I seem to recall from my Scout forum days, that ideal gas engine compression is around 14:1, but that's a little hard to get to work in a non-ideal engine, so often they put it around 12:1. What are the specs on the Atomic 4 compression?

Just curious...
    Has anyone ever built a fire-breathing A4?
    Hotter cams, shaved head, oversize pistons, megaphone exhaust pipes, etc... I can imagine the looks on the go-fast boats when I fire up my sailboat and shoot a flame out the back I know, I know. Its unsailorlylike.

My two other passions - IH Scouts, and Honda Hawk GTs, have folks that share traits of the A4 group. Take something "outdated" and make it work better than a lot of the "modern" stuff. Both groups also find it hard to find competent mechanics for these oldies and so do most of the work ourselves.
Working...
X