X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Catfish, sooty plugs are indicative of a week spark and/or poor timing, a further confirmation of this is all plugs being sooty. Could also be the choke is not open all the way.

Black oily thickly coated plugs are usually indicative of a bad cylinder and not usually found in all cylinders.

Don just released a good article on testing the coil, IE a good snappy 1/2" long spark is good. The plug wires need to be good, IE no cracks and have a good seal on the plugs. Also no cracks or tracks on the inside of the distributor cap.

What plugs are you using? Have you tried adjusting the idle yet. The idle circuit still works well into the 1500RPM range before the "hi speed (adj jet) is functioning. Get the idle working and then you can load the engine at a cruise speed or even against the dock lines to get the hi-speed adjusted for performance. Best done at cruise. If you are doing adjusting a vacuum gage is a help and valuable for tracking engine performance!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Catfish
      • Jan 2020

Alright. Now she's running fine. Ran tied to the dock for 45 mins at all rpms and gear changes. I replaced the coil and that made a world of difference. I also noticed I had a ceramic resistor so I took it out. The coil i replaced had internal resistance as well so I'm not sure why the PO ran with it. I'm running champion rj12yc plugs gapped at .035.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

How much internal resistance? Where did you buy the coil?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Catfish
          • Jan 2020

I replaced it with a MM coil. I'm not sure where the old one came from, but had the similar writing on the side "external resistance not required".

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Good on ya. Sourcing from MMI will always get you the right parts for your A4.

The reason I asked is internal resistance coils typically come in three flavors: 3Ω, 1.5Ω and 3/4Ω and only one is suitable for our engine.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Boat
              • Aug 2014

fuel pump? pressure?
              '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

electric Fuel pump from Moyer, pressure gauge with in line adaptor I am happy and use "Marshal" 0-15 psi. SS body, glass lens, liquid filled. About $25 on ebay

Comment

• CamaroMan
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  electric Fuel pump from Moyer, pressure gauge with in line adaptor I am happy and use "Marshal" 0-15 psi. SS body, glass lens, liquid filled. About $25 on ebay
                  fyi the clear glass filters are not legal in the US - nothing glass/plastic allowed at all in the fuel system for inboard gas setups.

Either replace the inline fuel water/separator kits or something else - just a heads up..

Comment

• Sam
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Apr 2010

Good point on the "glass" used on fuel systems ie filters. I mentioned the glass lens on the fuel pressure gauge vs some cheaper ones that have plastic lenses that cloud up if some gas droplets find there way on them. The gauge is very useful, needs to be read so it has to be clear? Surprise to find it may not be totally legit??

Comment

Working...
                    X