Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Afourian MVP

Ignition Protected

Does anyone have a simple explanation, video, cartoon to help explain just HOW an "ignition protected" device prevents explosion?

I've read what it means, etc and can get the concept, but how, for example, can a simple mesh screen on an alternator, or a plastic cover on a bus bar prevent this when it really doesn't prevent gases from flowing over potential spark points?

What am I missing in my edjumacation?
  #2   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Does anyone have a simple explanation, video, cartoon to help explain just HOW an "ignition protected" device prevents explosion?

I've read what it means, etc and can get the concept, but how, for example, can a simple mesh screen on an alternator, or a plastic cover on a bus bar prevent this when it really doesn't prevent gases from flowing over potential spark points?

What am I missing in my edjumacation?
The mesh "shorts out" a flame front by cooling it off. The plastic screen on a bus bar keeps you from hitting it with a wrench and making a big spark. Mine safety lamps work this way, the flame is in a mesh screen. If it burns brighter, you have methane, dimmer you have CO.
  #3   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
The test for ignition protection by whatever variety of features* is very specific. The simple overview is a spark producing device is submitted for testing, the testing agency operates it in a propane filled chamber. BOOM = fail.

*There are different methods of achieving ignition protection. Using alternators as an example, the Delco base alternator typically has a screened back as one of its features whereas the Motorola has a sealed chamber capped by the piggybacked regulator and no screen at all.

edit: Ignition protection is distinctly different from explosion proof. The latter is a designation in the National Electrical Code under a number of classifications required for refineries, fueling stations, grain silos and in certain jurisdictions, woodworking shops.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 01-09-2020 at 08:52 AM.
  #4   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Afourian MVP

sigh.. it's these "little" details - simple, yet I could not find that kind of explanation online. My google-fu was weak.

Thanks hive-mind!
  #5   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
The test for ignition protection by whatever variety of features* is very specific. The simple overview is a spark producing device is submitted for testing, the testing agency operates it in a propane filled chamber. BOOM = fail.

*There are different methods of achieving ignition protection. Using alternators as an example, the Delco base alternator typically has a screened back as one of its features whereas the Motorola has a sealed chamber capped by the piggybacked regulator and no screen at all.

edit: Ignition protection is distinctly different from explosion proof. The latter is a designation in the National Electrical Code under a number of classifications required for refineries, fueling stations, grain silos and in certain jurisdictions, woodworking shops.
I have a flashlight certified for use in mines that can have explosive gasses. It is basically a dive light, no air in or out.
  #6   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
I did not mean to imply explosion proof was unique to the electrical industry, just that it is distinctly different than ignition proof.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #7   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I did not mean to imply explosion proof was unique to the electrical industry, just that it is distinctly different than ignition proof.
I have seen explosion proof, vapor proof, ignition proof (which is NOT the same as vapor proof at all) and some other terms used for various things for sale. If you look at "explosion proof light" on Amazon, some of them actually are and a lot more are apparently using that term as a style adjective more than actually being certified as safe in explosive atmospheres. Dairy barns are one customer for these lights, can't have exploding cow farts
  #8   IP: 193.117.144.73
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM
Afourian MVP

For mines, huh, joe_db? How useful.

I think we have NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT in the works:

The Moyer Marine Automotive Alternator Adapter
SAE J1171 is for the birds. This simple, disposable, bright yellow indicator allows the safe use of any non-marine-certified, off-the-shelf alternator with an Atomic Four engine in an enclosed environment. This biodegradable device is the cat's meow - so go ahead and bolt on that cheap, chintzy, random flea market alternator! When the indicator becomes silent, simply shut off the engine and get the hell off the boat. This alert-when-quiet design is cleverly and fully compatible with the other safety indicators that can be installed on the engine, especially the EWDS, which only make noise during an alarm situation.

We expect this product to fly off the shelves. CLICK HERE to see prototype. Stainless hook for engine room overhead mount, highly recommended but sold separately. Power daily with Marvel Mystery Seeds, also sold separately. Imported from Spain and awaiting final US Coast Guard approval. They seem to be taking their time on this for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to tenders For This Useful Post:
GregH (01-10-2020)
  #9   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 01-10-2020, 08:44 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post

SAE J1171 is for the birds. This simple, disposable, bright yellow indicator allows the safe use of any non-marine-certified, off-the-shelf alternator with an Atomic Four engine in an enclosed environment. This biodegradable device is the cat's meow - so go ahead and bolt on that cheap, chintzy, random flea market alternator! When the indicator becomes silent, simply shut off the engine and get the hell off the boat. This alert-when-quiet design is cleverly and fully compatible with the other safety indicators that can be installed on the engine, especially the EWDS, which only make noise during an alarm situation.

We expect this product to fly off the shelves. CLICK HERE to see prototype. Stainless hook for engine room overhead mount, highly recommended but sold separately. Power daily with Marvel Mystery Seeds, also sold separately. Imported from Spain and awaiting final US Coast Guard approval. They seem to be taking their time on this for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qypEcwM2M
  #10   IP: 98.117.4.37
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Ignition protection

Building on Neil's post, here's a link to one of our MMI newsletters in which we tried to explain ignition protection. The ignition protection reference comes near the end of the newsletter. Don

http://www.moyerphoto.com/moyermarineNL/2-1-14.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Moyer For This Useful Post:
GregH (01-10-2020), tenders (01-11-2020)
  #11   IP: 137.103.82.227
Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenders View Post

I was at Home Depot and they had what looked like a Pelican dive light on sale. I bought it and found it embossed with a Mine Safety & Health Administration approval for explosive atmospheres. Also works fine as a dive light or flashlight
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_db For This Useful Post:
tenders (01-11-2020)