View Single Post
  #53   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnward View Post
Fellow Afourians;
The casting number above the flame arrestor is 112074 A, so I guess that means the block was cast on Nov. 20, 1974. Since I love my Atomic Four, I will now use this thread to give you too much information. This engine was rebuilt in 1990, again in 2001, and has had 1807 hours put on it since then. It has a mechanical fuel pump, electronic ignition, freshwater cooling, and the new Moyer freshwater pump without the grease cup. The plugs, cap, rotor, Racor filter, inline fuel filters,(one before the fuel pump and one after), and impellers are replaced every year. I change the oil every 50 hours, and put Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and the engine oil. This year I installed a temperature alarm, glad I did, although it alarms well before the temperature gauge shows a temperature of 200. I had a few heat alarms before I replaced the salt water impeller, a Jabsco which had a small chunk out of the hub. I used to have an oil filter, but removed it on the advice of the rebuilder. He also removed the thermostat, but I installed a Thermostatic mixing valve, a Honeywell AM series, mounted next to the Moyer Heat exchanger. With it I can cruise close to 180F degrees, and can make it run colder if the alarm goes off. Since I stopped using ethanol fuel the filters don't clog as fast, and stuff stays out of the carburetor jets. I've gotten pretty good at removing, inspecting, cleaning and reattaching the carburetor. I replaced the jets once. I use about 200 gallons of premium non-ethanol gas a year. Someday i will install an adjustable main jet, but there seems to be no need for it, other than to increase mileage. I have never looked at the valves. The engine starts right up, the choke is opened as soon as it starts, and it runs very smoothly and quietly. I always leave the engine compartment open for ventilation, and keep the boat floating, covered and heated in the winter. I have a two-blade Performance Atomic-4 Perfect Pitch urethane propeller, which i replaced this year after a few years use, when during the haulout I discovered pieces broken off the ends. At 1750 RPM I can go 5.5 knots plus. I have a 1948 Blanchard 33 (built in Seattle of red cedar on oak, the original engine a Kermath) which I use to charter for daysails from Deer Harbor on Orcas Island, WA. I am now in my 13th season of operation. Last year I made over 200 3-hour trips, usually motoring less than an hour a trip. The Atomic 4, and the parts and information I have gotten from Mr. Moyer and this forum over the years, has made my business possible. I also live on the boat, which makes all this possible for me. I am having a great time with a great engine. I see no reason to consider re-powering ever with a noisy, smelly diesel engine, just to save maybe $500 a year on fuel, a fraction of my total expenses.
There's my testimonial.
Happy Sailing!
Not bad at all. Thanks for chimming in there Capt.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.