Thread: Propane box
View Single Post
  #44   IP: 207.6.154.240
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 AM

Few things here from the regs:

1. lockers shall only open from the top ... so one that you have to lie down sideways to remove the tank I would say would be a no-no.

2. you can't store anything else in the same locker, so using the anchor locker is a no-no ... and I'd say even if you relocate the anchor, chain and rode elsewhere it still wouldn't meet the requirements, unless modified, because it's of a design the just begs you to also use it for storage (like for that anchor, chain and rode that is now in the way on the deck!).

3. Hanging the propane tank, regulator, etc. off the stern rail ... it needs to be protected from the weather and against mechanical damage. So ... does that mean you still need a locker? Probably.

4. Your regulator relief valve outlet has to be at least 20-inches from any opening to the boat's interior. What's usually on the stern of a sailboat and in many cases about 20-inches from where a rail-mount tank and regulator is located? Blower intake and/or exhaust. Oops!

5. How about the overboard vent from a propane locker ... it too has to be at least 20-inches away from any opening. Exhaust and bilge pump outlets? I guess they would qualify (to the letter of the reg, but since they (should) have vertical loops, I highly doubt propane vapours would be an issue).

6. The regulation does allow you to have a propane locker inside the boat as long as it's in a boat locker that opens to the outside and the propane locker is located as high and close as possible to the locker's opening.

So .... as far as I can tell ... it ain't an easy proposition.

By the way ... anyone with a current (2013 ... not 2000) version of the regulation able to comment on any specific changes?