• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcbristoll
    • Apr 2018

New owner here...and some seemingly embarrassing questions

First, how neat to find a community dealing with the Atomic 4

I just purchased an old 1966 Columbia 31 with an Atomic 4

The old owner told me in the fall he drained the oil (Is this normal ?)

Next and this seems silly....Where do you put the oil in ? No breather or cap ??
    also, is there a dip stick ? or how to you check how much oil the engine has ?

thanks in advance for any advice
  • Ram41662
    • Dec 2017

BC,

For the dip stick, take a look at the far end of the engine.

As for the filler, it should be right above the flywheel cover,

If you're not familar with older engines the oil filler cover doesn't look quite right. It more of a cupped cap than the contemporary flat caps.

I've attached a couple of pictures of Moyer's "perfect A4" to help you better identify these parts.

Rick
    Attached Files
    sigpic Just another Ol' Guy living the dream... :-)

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

If it's a 1966 engine in a 1966 boat it's an early model configuration for which I know very little personally. For the oil fill, look for a hinged lid below the distributor. As for the dipstick, someone with early model knowledge will be along soon I'm sure.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

Early model oil fill. http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...&pictureid=613
        Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Ram41662
          • Dec 2017

I keep forgetting my 1969 is considered a "late model"

Neil is right, if it is a 1966 vintage "older model" the the oil filler should be a hinged cover outboard of the distributor.

As for your dip stick, it is possible you might not have one, at least according to this thread: http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1020

Even here, it sounds like the dipstick, if it was present, should be at the back of the engine.
          sigpic Just another Ol' Guy living the dream... :-)

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

Yes. The dip stick is in the red circle on the pic I posted.
            Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

The early dip stick as four "zones" 1 / 2 / 3 / 4. The proper level depends on the angle at which the A-4 is installed.
              Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• bcbristoll
                • Apr 2018

Hey everyone,
                thanks for the quick responses.
                Ram, I wish my engine looked like that....that picture makes sense, but I don't have a breather cap there.
                Marian the first time I looked at the link you supplied I looked on my motor for the area you had circled. I couldn't find it so I wanted to look again at the picture and I get that it's an invalid album ?? Could you resend that link? Wow, never thought such a simple thing would be so difficult.

thanks again for responding

Comment

• Marian Claire
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2007

This may help. Post # 3 http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=4010
                  Dan S/V Marian Claire

And welcome to the forum.
                  Last edited by Marian Claire; 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Sam
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Apr 2010

Lets keep it simple - on my 1966 early model A4 dip stick is little 1/2 inch round cap just behind distributor in a little "well" on block - easy to overlook if you do not know its there. Best way to change oil is to extract through the rectangular flip lid just right of the distributor. Caution that it fills slowly using a funnel. Just behind and below the carb you have a 1/2 inch oil drain screw cap which is really too low to drain the about 4 qts. There is a small lever connected to a built in hand pump next to it. If you have the room, can angle your wrist in there around the carb to work the pump and place a narrow container [I use a small disposable aluminum "loaf" container] to catch the oil out of the drain you can get the last 3/4 qt of oil out of the pan. I assure you it is worth it since it is much dirtier than the rest. You can pump all the oil out using the hand pump but it is very awkward and slow [easier when the motor was mounted on a tractor]. good luck

Comment

• bcbristoll
                      • Apr 2018

Hi guys,

Yea, success !! I found both the oil filler and the dip stick .....geeez, good thing there is an entry panal on the side. Thanks so very much.

Next I guess check the plugs, points ( wow when was the last time I played with points?) and people here seem to think it's a good idea to change the water pump impeller(s).

So, here is another odd question. There is no radiator so I assume the motor continually run fresh water thru the engine ?? If so how does it ever get warm ?

Comment

• bcbristoll
                        • Apr 2018

Hey Sam,
                        On a tractor ?? I have an electric pump I use on an old BMW to remove the oil (too hard to get underneath)....Will That be able to remove all 4 qts ?? Glad to see I'm not the only one with an old Atomic4. I here good things about this motor...guess I'll find out.

Comment

• CajunSpike
                          • Jan 2018

I bought a cheap amazon oil transfer pump/kit to get all the old oil out.
                          The intake line went thru the dipstick hole.
                          Pretty much got everything out the engine.

Worked great.
                          Bill L.
                          1972 Ericson 27
                          Hull #61
                          Atomic 4

Comment

• Marian Claire
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2007

bc: Now that you have found the dipstick you can see how small the opening is on the early model. About the size of a pencil. I use the hand pump near the carb for oil changes. By adding a short piece of hose to the hand pump you can make things much less awkward.
                            Yes. As best as I can tell the early models did not have a T-stat so "raw" water, what ever the boat is sitting in be it salt/fresh/polluted fresh/brackish, ran freely thru the A-4. Some folks used a recirculating loop to route some of the hot water back thru the engine. This valve gives you some control over the operating temp but must be adjusted manually. Then the Dole T stat was offered as a aftermarket upgrade and allowed for hands off temp control. You can see what it looks like on the pictures sent earlier.
                            Check and see if you have the Dole housing and we can go from there.
                            Dan S/V Marian Claire

Edit: +1 on what Sam said about refilling the oil slowly.
                            Last edited by Marian Claire; 04-30-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Sam
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Apr 2010

My tractor comment was referring to A4 variants which were previously used on jeeps and small farm tractors etc. When the engine is mounted up on a frame a "drain plug" at the very bottom and side of the pan is accessible but on a boat it is not unless you want oil al over the bilge/engine compartment etc. I use a 12 volt electric pump and sometime a vacuum pump through the dipstick tube to change oil [couple times a season, especially for winter layup]. Regardless how far down I play with the change intake tube I still get about an additional 1/2 qt of pretty dirty oil using the low right side hand pump. Probably no problem if it was left in since it gets mixed with new oil but if I can get it out I do. I remember as a young engineering student 50 yrs ago reviewing some SAE "wear" charts and became fastidious about changing oil especially when there is no filter. I

Comment

Working...
                              X