View Single Post
  #4   IP: 50.67.146.231
Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
If there is antifreeze in it you might smell the antifreeze. If not, well the loss is very minor and not likely the cause of the white smoke.

Here's something that does happen in spring and fall. The actual exhaust air is warmer than the ambient air temp outside. At this time of year it's not uncommon to see a white smoke, especially in the morning where the ambient air temp is cooler. You might have a combination of both going on as well.

The coloring of the exhaust, after sitting two weeks, is not uncommon. Water is sitting in the exhaust system, there's a bit always sitting there somewhere and it does get discolored. If it clears in less than a minute that would be normal. I'm raw water cooled and if the boat has been sitting the exhaust will look dirty initially.

Hi Moe...

The smoke is more like steam it dissipates in the air fairly quickly... It just started when the weather is still warm and the midday start up by the time I get to Pt Roberts shouldn't really cause a big billowing cloud. It's more like steam, I read somewhere on this forum that this may be the case with a leaking exhaust manifold or worse yet a head gasket that has failed.

I don't mind replacing the head gasket since it's easy enough to do. There is a tell tale sign that it has gone as shown in my next photo. One can see the blackened area where the exhaust has stained the head and block from escaping gases.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by Orion C&C 33; 11-04-2018 at 02:35 PM.