View Single Post
  #10   IP: 107.77.97.120
Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
When evaluating this have a critical look at the lifter surfaces in contact with the cam. Decades ago I rebuilt a Ford 390 that included a new camshaft. I learned there would be no warranty unless a full set of new lifters were included on the same invoice.
When I was doing a lot of this, that was the general practice on V-8s and other common engines. Lifters were not too expensive then($5). The old lifters were usually worn to a "dished" surface from the cam lobe. The higher spring pressures of those modern(70's–80's) engines helped accelerate wear after the miles racked up and the maintenance got lax.

But,
On old flatheads and oddball motors we often set them right back in if they looked good. It was always a judgement call on those—cost verses life expectancy.
On my A-4 I reground the mating surface. It is a similar job to grinding the tip of a valve stem. That's probably what McQ's Oklahoma shop means by "clean up"

Grant,
Yea, nitridng must be what I meant when I said "flame hardening". We never had the facilities up here for that so I never saw it. I just recall the nice newish gray surface on reground cams from mail-order suppliers.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Last edited by lat 64; 11-02-2018 at 01:27 PM.