X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geekeasy
    • Feb 2013

After half-rebuild, engine still won't start

I'm still trying to get my A4 running after half a rebuild.

We now have compression, fuel, and a spark but it won't start.

After trying to start it for a few minutes, we got large backfire out the exhaust.

1) I'm not 100% sure that the Carb was put together correctly. There's an open screw hole on the bottom of it, but from the manual it seems that might be correct.

2) There didn't seem to be a bunch of fuel on the spark plugs, so it is possible it's not getting enough fuel.

3) But maybe the mostly likely problem is that the timing isn't right. Any advice on how to correctly set the timing?

Thanks for any advice and help!
    Kiki
    Ericson 35 - #282
  • Sam
    Afourian MVP
    • Apr 2010

My bet is on the timing due to the backfire. I had a similar problem one time after cleaning my distributor [points] thought I put back in the same position - was way off and getting a backfire. Just follow the TDC routine with the rotor pointing aft and that will be a good starting point.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The carb does NOT have any open holes when installed correctly
      You are likely missing the main jet plug or the scavenger tube. Please send a photo, either one of these would be very dangerous.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• CajunSpike
        • Jan 2018

Timing is probably off..but just because you see spark doesn't mean the spark is right.
        I had a situation where you could see spark if you grounded the plug and crank.
        However, it was a weak white/yellow spark, not a crisp blue spark.

Turns out the points were badly adjusted. It was close enough to spark but not close enough to run the engine.
        Bill L.
        1972 Ericson 27
        Hull #61
        Atomic 4

Comment

• capnward
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2012

Yikes!

Your report of an open screw hole on the bottom of the carb woke me right up. Joe is correct. Sounds like you need a scavenger tube fitting in that hole. Otherwise you'll be leaking gas into the bilge. If you were missing the main jet plug it probably would just make a puddle of gas under the engine. Either way, it's dangerous.
          I'm pretty sure that in late model A4s, when doing initial timing from #1 TDC, the rotor needs to be pointing to starboard, (away from the head), not aft. The Moyer video on this is excellent.

Comment

• geekeasy
            • Feb 2013

Here's the open screw thread on the bottom. The hex screw fitting that could have gone here is now on the back (toward the back of the engine) top side of the carb.

Should I have put that screw on the bottom and left the one of the top/back open?
            Attached Files
            Kiki
            Ericson 35 - #282

Comment

• CajunSpike
              • Jan 2018

There's supposed to be a metal line running from that hole to the intake manifold. Its purpose is to capture any fuel that leaked out the carb throat, and feed it back to the intake to be burned.
              Last edited by CajunSpike; 11-01-2018, 04:10 PM.
              Bill L.
              1972 Ericson 27
              Hull #61
              Atomic 4

Comment

• geekeasy
                • Feb 2013

I'm not sure I have that piece. Mine might have just been plugged.

But in that case, I have no idea what went in the identically sized hole in the top/back of the carb. Yours seems to have a nipple for the fuel line there, while my fuel line comes out the side.
                Kiki
                Ericson 35 - #282

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by geekeasy View Post
                  But in that case, I have no idea what went in the identically sized hole in the top/back of the carb. Yours seems to have a nipple for the fuel line there, while my fuel line comes out the side.
                  The hole you're talking about is an alternate fuel inlet. If not used it gets a threaded plug that must be sealed.

About your no-start, did you remove the distributor as part of the work you performed? If yes, please describe in detail how you reinstalled it.
                  Last edited by ndutton; 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Boat
                    • Aug 2014

timimg is off or 180 degrees out
                    '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

Working...