Thread: Crankcase Smoke
View Single Post
  #8   IP: 72.194.219.196
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostp View Post
The engine is having other problems as well, which I'm not sure is related to the smoking or not.. Its running very rough and surging / spluttering. Won't hold constant RPM.. Ive replaced fuel filters and spark plugs to no avail. I have eletric fuel pump, would that possibly be the culprit? I would think it would fail outright, not partially if it was bad?
Any other tips? Bad gas maybe? Should I tear apart the carburetor? Replace the ignition coil, distributor cap and/or cables?
I'm getting a bit out of my depth.... :-(
Your "depth is is fine. You are aware of possible problems.
Rather than jump back and forth between systems (fuel, ignition) let's start with one system and be sure it is correct before moving on to other possible problems.
Water in the gas can cause all sort of weird running problems. So try running from an auxiliary fuel tank directly to the carburetor and see if the rough running goes away. Then we will know if the (possible) fuel problem is related to the boat's part of the fuel system or the engine's part of the fuel system.
All of the above is in IMO only. There are other valid approaches to trouble shooting.

TRUE GRIT