View Single Post
  #6   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
You make a good point Joe. Although it's not directly intended to monitor the ignition, how many times have we heard stories about absentmindedly leaving the key on after the engine has stopped (for whatever reason) and destroying the coil? As you said, an alarm system would alert when the oil pressure dropped reminding the operator to turn off the key within seconds.

To Dan's comment, I watch my gauges diligently too but the alarm system adds another tier of monitoring for a very reasonable cost. It might be one of the best cost vs. benefit additions we can have on our engines.

The early poll numbers surprise me. I expected most of us had the alarm. The Newport 27's and 30's of the early 70's didn't even have an engine panel or gauges. They had an ignition switch and a fuel gauge inside the cabin and the alarm system for everything else. I'm not suggesting anyone should do this but instead showing an example of how common the alarm is - or was. As another example, listen across the marina as boats start their engines for a day on the water. Power or sail, diesel or gas, alarm squeal before the engine starts is as common as [insert favorite metaphor here]. Example #3: Alarms are standard equipment on all Yanmars, probably other brands too.

I know it's early in the poll but it's not what I expected, not at all.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others