View Single Post
  #3   IP: 108.34.253.10
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Afourian MVP

Hello Tar34.

I’ve replaced the hot section in our T34c twice—once about 20 years ago when we bought the boat, and again a couple of years ago when I removed the engine to overhaul it.

The first replacement was the easier job. I cut the pipes at the exhaust flange and at the bottom of the standpipe and kept the sections in their original alignment so I could recreate the joint positions.

The second replacement was fussier. I had rebuilt the engine bed and installed a drive saver, so the fore-aft position of the engine changed. Also, I didn’t like a 90 degree bend in the original (and previously copied) installation, and installed two 45 degree joints for a gentler curve. Several dry fits were needed, and even then I had to move the standpipe a bit to make everything cooperate.

For me, a key part of the installation was to use ample fiberglass insulation and exhaust wrap. I had to enlarge the hole at the bottom of the standpipe cabinet for clearance. I didn’t use thread dressing for either job; leaks have not been a problem.

Hope this helps some.

Best regards,

Jack.