View Single Post
  #183   IP: 72.194.222.152
Old 11-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSpike View Post
The machine shop I use has been open for ages and is owned by an old time guy. He knows lots of tricks.
I love to hear all ya'll thoughts and experiences on stuff like this, in any case.
My first boat was a Columbia 24. It didn't have a stern rail. I asked the local metal fabricator to come to the boat and give me an estimate for a stern rail. He showed up with tape measure, pencil, and pad of paper, made a few rough measurements recorded them (this was before the day that phones took pictures) and gave me an estimate.
Two or three weeks later he asked me to meet him at the boat - the rail was ready.
The rail fit perfectly. I couldn't believe it. From rough measurements to perfect rail.
He told me how he did it. He cut and bent the steel and did minimal welding then he and another fella brought the rail down to the boat and did the final bends then took it back to the shop and finished the welding. A true custom rail.
I'll bet your guy knows a few tricks like this. Maybe he can use the boat itself as a template.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
CajunSpike (11-25-2018)