View Single Post
  #23   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Afourian MVP

a picture just to make sure

Hi Rob,
When I first started tinkering with A-4s, I noticed something odd to me..the cylinders & distributor & wires are not oriented the same way I am used to seeing. With the different configurations of A-4s this confusion can be exacerbated, especially when discussion ensues on an Internet forum, or when new owners jump on a boat and may not know how it is supposed to be set up

I made this diagram last year when some confusion came up as to firing order and distributor orientation in another thread - additionally, things like V-drives (which completely turn the engine around) or having the engine under the steps as opposed to the middle of the boat, can bring up different interpretations as to front/back/top/3 o'clock position/9 o'clock, etc..

This diagram (borrowing one of the Moyer engine pics from their website) notes the plug wires, cylinder #s, wire orientation on the distributor & rotor position at TDC. Incidentally, I understand the early models might be different, but I have never seen one.

As someone else noted, it is odd that cyls 1 & 2 are the current culprit..normally 3 & 4 have problems, and it is not a rare occurrence to accidentally swap the #3 & #4 wires..hence the exact reason I made this picture.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 03-25-2010 at 09:19 AM.