View Single Post
  #1   IP: 69.138.231.172
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM

No Power and no RPMs

I have a older C&C Invader that I've recently purchased. I've sailed for years but this is my first ownership of a boat with an inboard engine. I've only had the old gal for a few weeks and haven't pulled her yet as the yards are still full of winter storage for a few more weeks.

My problem is that I can't develop RPMs nor power. We delivered the boat 160 miles to my slip and she would not go over 3.9 knots. Yes, it was a long trip. We assumed that the prop was fouled and that the bottom was a shag carpet.

Today I had a guy use a fancy underwater video camera to take a look. The 3-blade prop looked perfect. There were no barnacles and nothing was wrapped around the shaft. The bottom was bumpy but not overgrown.

What could be causing this? Since I'm ignorant, is there a shaft bearing that could be frozen and causing extreme friction? Could the cotter pin of the prop be sheared and the prop is spinning on the shaft?

My engine will REV up very nicely in neutral so I know it's running fine and capable. However, when in gear, as I throttle up I can barely hear an RPM change and the engine is just lugging. It doesn't quit but it's just never REVs up.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rob