View Single Post
  #58   IP: 98.189.79.99
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Neptune View Post
Adam, a 4 cylinder 12V coil will work just fine. Do you know what type of distributor you have? A pic may help.

If you suspect the pump due to the black ooze get another one and before mounting and playing install a fuel pressure gage between the polishing filter and the carb. I would suggest fresh fuel lines when doing this, often black ooze is ethanol breaking down old style fuel line.

Also a coil from a 4 cyl V-dub would work just fine. Do check the points and integrity of the cap. Also give the C-adv a twist and lube if necessary. And yes a coil will heat up!

When testing if she ever shuts down check for spark~~BE PREPARED~~immediately. No spark its ign and probably the coil.
You will already know about fuel delivery as you now have a pressure gage you checked while starting and/or running.

When the engine dies how does it die, stumbling to a stop or just quits like you shut her down?

You may want to start a fresh thread for your issues.

Dave Neptune
I am spacing on the brand of the coil I got...it is not the one from the V-Dub...got it from Orange Engine who is a marine parts supplier here in Dana Point...and I went with the American made brand that was a little more expensive. I am 95% sure I do not have an external resistor, so went with a coil that does not require one.

When it dies...it is like when I shut it down..no sputtering before hand at all....just a slight drop in rpms moments before it dies.

I will get a new fuel pump and I'll get a pressure gauge too. Most of the fuel lines are brand new, but now that I think of it, the fuel line coming right off the fuel tank I have not replaced yet.

Given your description Dave Neptune, I don't think the coil is the issue now, but I will still try the spark test (which I have never done before).

Now thinking about it (through the night)...when this problem initially happened at the end of summer...I had drained the fuel/water separator and put on new filters. Once I did that, the engine ran for a long time before cutting out...45 min+. Since then, it has been 5 min max that it has run.

Yesterday, I drained the fuel/water separator and the fuel pump and replaced the small filter...and she ran for 45min+ before shutting down. Now after letting it sit for a while, more like 5min max again.

So, both times when I have drained the fuel/water separator and replaced filters, I get a good strong running engine for almost an hour. Does this tell anyone anything?

I should probably start a new thread, but this one has so much handy info for me and allows me to easily go back to check previous responses...