View Single Post
  #55   IP: 107.131.11.88
Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Ok, Update.

I finally made it down without the kids and was able to make some progress (although no-results).

I replaced the Coil...engine fired right up super strong, but didn't last long. New coil didn't solve issue.

Drained the Fuel Filter/Water separator, replaced the other small fuel filter and then took off fuel pump, and cleaned brass fittings. Drained out whatever fuel was in the pump, and eventually some blackish liquid came out. Re-hooked everything up, engaged the pump to re-prime the pump and fuel filter/water separator, fired her up and she ran like a top for 20-25 min in neutral...decided to put in gear and gradually increased throttle quiet a bit...let run in forward (tied up tight in slip) for 5-10 minutes...no problems. Put back into neutral and ran for another 10-15min or so...then I noticed a slight drop in the rpms...and then she shut down again. Tried to fire up again and would not start. Waiting a few minutes, fired up again, started right up...but didn't last long.

My initial thought is the fuel pump being the culprit...either has gunk of some kind...or is maybe just failing to pump after a while.

Side note, I did feel the coil after all of this and it did seem warm almost hot...did the brand new coil just get fried too?, or is this normal?? I drove my '73 bus home (after giving up for the evening) decided to feel the coil of the bus after driving home to see how it compared...and it was also relatively warm, so thinking this could be normal and maybe eliminate coil as the problem.

Almost ready to call mercy and get someone down here to look at it. But have trouble wanting to give in...