X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhickey
    • Sep 2013

Refuelling at sea

So I'm fairly confident with the safety precautions necessary when refuelling a gas powered boat at a fuel dock, but I am less sure of what the best practices are if one had to refuel at sea or on a mooring. To date this hasn't been an issue for me, but I can see scenarios when it may be necessary to use a jerry can to refill the tank between ports.

My thoughts would be that the process would be much the same- no sources of ignition, hatches closed, etc. What other precautions should be taken? Or is this just a terrible idea to even consider?
    Chris
    S/V Seeker
    1972 C&C 30
    Terra Nova Yacht Club, Holyrood NL
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Heh-heh, jerry cans are the ONLY way I fuel up. The precautions are the same as at the fuel dock.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Heh-heh, jerry cans are the ONLY way I fuel up. The precautions are the same as at the fuel dock.
      +1
      In fact, I would wholeheartedly argue that it is a much safer procedure.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Trés 30
        • May 2014

If spillage is your concern (I also use the red cans) you could use a transfer pump like the one pictured.

Maybe also you could rig a reserve tank with a Y valve and a line directly to a removable, but secured, tank. Be sure to vent it properly. All safety rules (ventilation, no spark) apply x2.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          + another 1
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Refueling at sea implies to me that you are underway. This introduces a few complications.
            1. Water in the fuel: If it is rough enough you'll get a lot of saltwater along with your fuel. With ethanol-crapgas this will make a mess not fixable by the water seperator.
            2. Spillage: If it is rough, gas will go other places besides the tank.
            3. Wind Direction: Typically the fuel fill is near the stern. Wind from aft will blow gas fumes into the cabin In this case a course change is best or at least shut the hatches.
            4. Engine running: If all is well the engine can be running, but you have no margin at all for finding leaks or fumes before they are a real danger.

Refueling while anchored is a best case. You are into the wind and not underway.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

My fill cap is located amidships on the port deck. I usually just take
              a funnel and a new fangled home depot jug , take the crazy spout off and pour
              into the funnel. I have done this at anchor successfully, no engine
              running and at sea with wind and engine running. It seems as though
              the breeze keeps fumes away. no open hatches or ports.
              Would never do this at a fill dock.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

When traveling the ICW to Florida I have no choice but to visit fuel docks though with my three tank (total 46 gal) capacity I can pick and choose. I used to carry fuel jugs on deck (port and starboard) but when you do that you look like exactly what you are - a "floater". But I do like to have the ability to buy gasoline from a land fuel station (South Mills Lock is a good example) so I devised a removable 6 gal tank complete with quick disconnects for fuel and vent and an independent shut off valve. I never refuel underway; you never know when a stink pot will roar by and lay a wake on you.
                Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Vermont30
                  • Jun 2013

This happened yesterday where I get my pump outs....

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Help for new fangled spouts

I found a small company in Hawaii (on ebay) that sells little vents for jerry cans. This helps the s-l-o-w spouts that 'vent themselves' tremendously and you get much better flow. Most of my jerry cans have these now, and each time I empty one, I add a vent cap. I still have a couple old school jerry cans without the stupid spouts too.

Here is a link to his store - http://stores.ebay.com/Gas-Spouts-Pl...p2047675.l2563
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Sea Haven
                      • Jun 2013

Best filling "tool" ever!

Been on the hook for quite some time.
                      A couple of 5 Gal cans and a Hopkins hose:
                      Hopkins (HPK10801)
                      Shaker Siphon

No worries regarding the new "push to pour" spouts on the newer cans since you remove it altogether and siphon directly from the can to your gas fill.
                      After following ALL the same recommended fueling procedures that you would at the dock: (Close Ports/Hatches etc)
                      1-Place the fill end in your fill opening.
                      2-The end with the metal and marble into the gas can.
                      3-Shake it up and down a few times quickly to get it started.
                      4-Sit back and watch it empty the Gas can in no time.
                      5-Pull the can end out to let whatever's in the hose finish into your tank.
                      6-Let the Hopkins air dry before storing it.
                      After completion, again follow ALL the same recommended fueling procedures that you would at the dock: (Open Ports/Hatches, run blower etc)
                      I have NEVER spilled a drop on my Pearson 323.
                      Of course check local Law Authority regarding the legality of fueling at your mooring. All you need is a pissed off mooring neighbor calling "Five-O" down on you.
                      I absolutely love the Hopkins, and you're not constrained to any particular gas can or fill spout. It's amazing how easy and fast it works.
                      "Sub" Ed

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

Question:
                        Why do you guys close hatches and ports during fuel up?
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

To keep gas fumes out of the boat

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                          Question:
                          Why do you guys close hatches and ports during fuel up?
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

Russ, the gas fumes are heavier then air. Picture the fumes rolling across the boat down hill. The idea is to keep them from finding their way below.

After fill up, before starting the engine, open the hatches and ventilate.

Comment

• lat 64
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Oct 2008

Thanks, it all makes sense but I guess never did that because my fill port is outside of deep coamings and anything liquid or heavier than air would go overboard. That said, I make a more-than-usuall and rigorous sniff around the bilge before starting up at the gas dock. The attendants never give anyone grief about going through a check list. I have seen them watch me and smile.

I'll review my procedure. It might change.

Russ
                              Last edited by lat 64; 08-06-2014, 12:48 AM.
                              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                              X