View Single Post
  #15   IP: 74.88.0.97
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 PM

I am in the same position but a bit more complicated and trying to decide what to do. Pearson 30 in decent shape - always needs some work
The other posts hit important points - money and time
Long story short - A4 block failed - bought a "rebuilt" A4 which wasn't. b It did however have a nice paint job...sigh

Yard moved my boat last week and damaged the mast so it just adds to the complexity.
I have talked to Ken at Moyer (Thanks Ken - you have been an enormous help)

Weighing my opinions:
Rebuilding is not an option for me (NY Condo)

A rebuilt Moyer A4
After two engines with block failures ( no reflection or offense to Moyer) I am simply gun shy about heading in this direction.

A new Moyer A4
This is a straight drop in and very likely the direction i will take

A Beta Marine
The Beta, while stated as a drop in for the A4, does require additional work and expense.
New shaft, prop, mod to fuel tank (not difficult) control panel and wiring harness. I am tempted
While it may not add to the resale value, it may help me sell the boat easier.

My rational is this:
I have owned this boat for plus 20 years and I like it. It owes me absolutely nothing.
I was planning on keeping the boat another 4 years, retire, upgrade and sail off
If my total investment is $8000 for 4 years, I can live with that.

On the other hand my daughter threw a wrench into my logic last night
She suggested i Leave the boat with the yard (they are willing), save all this money and buy the boat i want sooner. Smart kid.
I remain undecided as i am waiting to talk to the yard

Bottom line if at the end of the day I spent the money to repower and got the same $5k for th boat, I'd be fine.
The enjoyment factor has value
Best with your decision