View Single Post
  #7   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Boat is a pretty good Newport 30 II. . . . . . The A4 runs perfect, but seems a little tired
Please elaborate. If it's running perfectly, what indications suggest it's tired?

Quote:
I've had to push sailboats back to the marina a few times with the dingy
This boat or previous boats?

Quote:
My only concern is the availability of parts over the next 10 years. I'll probably own the boat for another 5 to 7 years.
I think the parts availability for the Atomic 4 is vastly superior to any other small sailboat auxiliary engine. The Universal M25XP three cylinder diesel, the common successor to the Atomic 4 throughout the sailboat industry, is a horrific example. Volvo's might even be worse.

Then there's price and labor. The purchase price of a new diesel is only the beginning. You will also need to replace the shaft, prop, control cables, shift and throttle lever mechanism, some sort of exhaust modification, fuel tank, fuel fill deck plate, likely the raw water intake thru-hull (Capital Yachts used 1/2", you'll probably need at least a 3/4"), engine instrument panel, wiring harness, modify the engine stringers, engine mounts and those are what come immediately to mind. Check your available clearance above the existing A4 too. The N30II had very little clearance above the engine and because of the existing driveline angle you'll probably need at least another 5" in height for just about any diesel.

Since your engine runs perfectly, why not just take care of it and its ancillary systems as well as the previous owner did? If it hasn't been converted to FWC yet, do it. With that single upgrade you will arrest the internal cooling system rust instantly and prolong the engine's life indefinitely. Consider electronic ignition too, another significant upgrade if done properly.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 07-03-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: punctuation error
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
alcodiesel (07-03-2019), sastanley (07-08-2019)