X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimG
    • Mar 2005

Dipstick oil draining

I've always threaded a small plastic tube down my dipstick to pull out old oil, but the process is pretty slow. I recently discovered on my other boat, that the Yanmar dipstick goes right to the bottom of the sump and I can just connect a larger hose to the dipstick itself, and extract all the oil quickly. I use one of those hand pumped vacuum oil removers, and the differences is 10-15 minutes versus 30 seconds.

Anyone know if the same trick works for an A4 (late model)?
    S/V Latis
    Brookings, OR
    Ranger 33
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

I use a length of aluminum tubing down the dipstick hole with an "X" cut across the bottom for easy flow. If you use a soft plastic tube it can bend around inside trany sort of in a "U"and you will not get as much oil pumped out as possible.

TRUE GRIT
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 03-24-2016, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Ajax
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
      I use a length of aluminum tubing down the dipstick hole with an "X" cut across the bottom for easy flow. If you use a soft plastic tube it can bend around inside trany sort of in a "U"and you will not get as much oil pumped out as possible.

TRUE GRIT
      John-

How many quarts do you usually manage to extract?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
        John-
        How many quarts do you usually manage to extract?
        ~3 1/2 quarts. Maybe a little less. I can guestimate because I pump the oil out into a gallon plastic jug.*
        I tape the aluminum tube to the trany shift lever once I find the "sweet spot" in the trany so the tube stays put and doesn't hop around. Then I pump with my hand pump until I see bubbles in the tubing that goes to the pump. Then I yank the aluminum tube out of the dipstick hole, and while holding a paper towel around the end, get it into the gallon jug and the whole assembly up to the cockpit or on the dock.

TRUE GRIT

*Put the gallon jug in a mop bucket so it doesn't tip over. Guess how I found out.

Comment

• zellerj
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2005

Originally posted by JimG View Post
          I've always threaded a small plastic tube down my dipstick to pull out old oil, but the process is pretty slow. I recently discovered on my other boat, that the Yanmar dipstick goes right to the bottom of the sump and I can just connect a larger hose to the dipstick itself, and extract all the oil quickly. I use one of those hand pumped vacuum oil removers, and the differences is 10-15 minutes versus 30 seconds.

Anyone know if the same trick works for an A4 (late model)?

I have never heard of that trick used with an atomic 4, and since this esteemed group has tried and reported on almost everything, I doubt if it will work. I also use a vacuum oil extractor (topsider), and I found shortening the plastic tubing as much as possible speeds things up.
          Jim Zeller
          1982 Catalina 30
          Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• BadaBing
            • Jul 2007

Running the engine ip to opperating temp, thinning the oil in the process, also helps speed the process. Plus, when you inevitably drop something in the okld.okl and need to stick your hand in it to recover the lost thing, its such a nice feeling.
            Bill
            1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly. Through it you have a straight shot to the bottom of the oil pan and can fit a decent size pickup tube.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Hanley, I do, I do!! That is what I use.

I use a small hand pump. I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat. See about the pump.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly.
                  Wish I could get at the oil plug you mentioned.
                  The engine bed in particular and engine access in general on my Catalina 27 was designed by a naval architect that didn't like his (or her) job.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Yeah, I know the Catalina 27 is tough. Next time you have the carburetor off you might consider installing this kit from our host:
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                      I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat.
                      Wait, what? Don't the noxious gas vapors surrounding the A4 kill nearby rodentia?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                        I use a small hand pump. I am not sure for this year, because the rats ate everything on the boat. See about the pump.
                        RC
                        How did the rats get on the boat? (Gross) Do you use rat guards on your dock lines?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Vermonstah
                          • Jan 2014

Yeah, I know the Catalina 27 is tough. Next time you have the carburetor off you might consider installing this kit from our host:
                          http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...key=KTAS_05_90
                          + 1 for Moyer's oil change kit

First few times I changed the oil, I made a complete mess of it. Now with the Moyer kit, hardly spill a drop.

Comment

• BadaBing
                            • Jul 2007

Do none of you have access to the oil plug below the carburetor? It's 3/4" NPT and a 3/4" 12 point socket fits the square head perfectly. Through it you have a straight shot to the bottom of the oil pan and can fit a decent size pickup tube.
                            On aTartan30 the engine sits at a good angle.leaning back,, not sure how typical this might be for other boat types. Will that oil plug allow.the draining from.the back portion of the pan?
                            Bill
                            1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                            www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

True Grit,

I dont use rat guards, what ever they are. I am sure that the rats got aboard the same way as the lizards, roaches, snakes, crabs, and ants.

I had one 10 years ago and I used poison. It worked quickly and I found him in the bilge, dead. This time, it was worse. The rats ate all sorts of things, including a full antifreeze jug and anchor line.

I used poison again. One dead rat I found in the chain locker, and the other 2 were in the bilge. They head for water after the poison.

Then I smelled a rat, a dead one, that I could not find. I took 3 truckloads of stuff from the boat and hosed the interior. I never found the extra rat, but got the boat cleaned. It smelled for about 2 months, and now it is back to normal.

Now I will keep glue and snap traps aboard. No more rat poison. Just roach poison.

Comment

Working...
                              X