View Single Post
  #4   IP: 75.185.39.162
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Afourian MVP

I'm a real amateur relative to some of the posters on this site, but here's how to set the points: Turn off the battery switch. Remove distributor cap. Turn flywheel by hand until breaker point contact with the distributor cam is riding on one of the 4 high contact points on the distributor cam. In this position, the points are at their maximum opening distance, which should be, as I recall 0.018-0.020". Check this with a blade type feeler gauge. If not correct, adjust by loosening the screw which holds the points to the breaker point plate a little bit, insert a screwdriver in the slot which spans the breaker point plate and the points, and twist a little. One direction will enlarge the gap, the other direction will close the gap. When correct, retighten the set screw. Loosening the screw a little will let you adjust as above without letting the points slide all over. This sets the "static" point timing, and if this is correct, the points will open and close the correct amount at the right time. If you don't get a spark with the points set statically, check the wiring. Make sure wiring to the coil is correct ( wire from alternator to the + coil terminal, wire to points connected to - coil terminal). Make sure wire from - coil terminal to points is not broken or shorting out on breaker point plate as it passes under distributor cap. Check for continuity of the latter wire also. I just spent 2 frustrating days with a no spark situation before finding that the wire from alternator to coil was broken at the alternator connection. Beyond this, you're beyond my knowledge base. I think you can have internal shorts in the starter or alternator that can cause no spark problems, but I don't understand that stuff- I just hope for simple problems, which it turns out, most things are.
Once you get the engine running, you can fine tune the ignition timing by rotating the distributor a little while the engine in running under a load to achieve maximum rpm. Just get the engine warmed to normal operating temp, and while pulling at your dock lines at normal cruising speed (probably 1400-1800 rmp), loosen the clamp holding the distributor to the block, and rotate the distributor a little in both directions until you get maximum rpm, then retighten the clamp. Your ignition timing is now fine-tuned.
I'd recommend you buy Don Moyer's A4 manual. Once you really start digging into the engine, you may also want to get his instructional DVD's. I have the one on the reversing gear operation, and it's well worth the money.
One more thing-- make sure your cooling water intake valve is closed whenever you are turning the engine over without actually starting the engine. Otherwise you'll be pumping water into the muffler, the water will back up thru the exhaust, and in a short time will enter the engine. If this happens, you'll get water in the oil (the oil on the dispstick will look like a weak chocolate milkshake) and this will require 4-6 oil changes to get the water out (another lesson learned the hard way). Open the intake as soon as the engine starts up, of course.

Last edited by msmith10; 07-02-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: additional info