View Single Post
  #57   IP: 199.254.67.146
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Triton,
The coil - post is not a ground. Disconnected it has continuity to the coil + post reduced by the internal coil resistance. A switching ground is provided to the - post by the ignition regardless of whether it's points or EI. Readings taken at the - post will be confusing as it's switching on and off. Actually, to confuse matters more, what you're reading at the - post mimics alternating current. The significant reading you need is from the coil + post to the engine block with the engine running. That reading should be equal to the alternator output minus the ignition wiring voltage drop. On my boat the voltage drop is 1 volt.

Further, your alternator output voltage indicates it and your regulator need to be repaired or replaced, period. 17 volts is not right and will damage components as you have already seen. In my estimation, based on your description and my affection for single wire internally regulated beefy alternators, I'd replace the alt with a new one (I love my Delco), replace the coil with a new 4 ohm and replace the EI because it too has been stressed. All this will cost a couple o' hun but you'll be done with it and back out on the water.
Neil, that's a really clear and lucid explanation of the coil (-) terminal. It all makes sense now. I tried to call Pertronics and waited, and waited, and waited on the line but could not get through. So finally I left a VM to call me back. Two days now not a peep.