View Single Post
  #1   IP: 96.88.212.97
Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Resurrecting a Classic 31

I was given a Grampian Classic 31 here in Annapolis this fall, and I have had her hauled out and am working to bring her back to life. I had only just begun looking for a new boat, but when I saw this boat I couldn't turn it down. I love my old Pearson but the layout is less than ideal in my mind and I don't like having a centerboard. I hope to have the boat, since renamed Stardust, sailing by next fall. A bit ambitious but she's complete and needs mostly cosmetic work and some repairs to the decks and mast.

The engine is the original 1965 A4. Moyer put on a new carb some years ago. There's a lot of surface rust but not too bad all things considered. It does turn over, but I've not checked for compression yet. Unfortunately the zincs were neglected long enough that the prop shaft and prop are trash. I cut them out of the boat this weekend. Of course all the through hulls will be replaced too as they are now suspect. The prop was so bad that chunks of it came off when they pressure washed her!
Attached Images

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
Sparrow’s Point, MD