• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattlurzo
    • Aug 2018

Fuel leak (with pic)

Hi Everyone -
    I have a gas smell in the engine compartment and a small amount of gas in the bilge. The engine had been running great -- no smell of gas since I've been running it for a couple of months. I thought it was coming from the fuel line and was about to replace the line, but when I started cleaning everything up, i noticed this part seems to be seeping fuel from the bolts or around the edges.

Sorry for the ignorance. Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm looking at here and why/how it could be leaking? I have some ideas after reading the manual, but I'm still unsure. I found it online too and maybe it needs a new O-ring? Would that make it leak? Or maybe replace the "element"? Just looking for someone who might have the same thing or know about one.

Notice the wetness around the bolts and the outer edge of the top of this. That's fuel and it reappears quickly right after I clean it off.

I don't want to mess with leaking fuel, so I will probably pay someone to come and check the whole thing out, but I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks so much,
    Matt
    ('75 Sabre 28 -- I love to sail, but I stink with engines)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mattlurzo; 11-29-2018, 11:35 PM.
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

First thing I would suspect is the problem is the "O" ring under the lid. You need to carefully remove the cover and have a look. Be sure to turn off the fuel upstream from the filter usually located at fuel outlet on tank. The numbers on the lid are not overly clear but here is what I think you have.
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Hi.

Hopefully the forthcoming comments will impress upon you the hazard you face working with gasoline in a confined space.
      Please have a GOOD fire extinguisher at the ready for this mess.
      Also; review your whole fuel system to make sure your fuel pump is not pressurizing the line, but rather pulling fuel through most of it and only pushing it to the carburetor for the last 12-inches or so. It should be set up that way so when the fuel line and fittings develop a leak,(and they will) it will suck air and not spray fuel.

This is different than a smelly lawnmower with a gas leak—this is dangerous from the simple fact that the gas fumes build up in the boat and don't blow away. Some guys like me go pretty much ape when they smell gasoline on the boat.

Cheers,

Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

That is a very old school fuel filter. If you can't get parts to fix it, there are many modern filters you can buy.
        Also forget the fire extinguisher, that stuff is not going to catch on fire until AFTER it explodes
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
          First thing I would suspect is the problem is the "O" ring under the lid. You need to carefully remove the cover and have a look. Be sure to turn off the fuel upstream from the filter usually located at fuel outlet on tank. The numbers on the lid are not overly clear but here is what I think you have.
          https://www.groco.net/media/file/fil...and-gf-375.pdf
          Good find, Chuck! It looks like there are lots of sources for a new filter element (which comes with a new o-ring).
          GF-376 Element include 2-231 O-Ring

Note the drain plug at the bottom, shown in the exploded parts image.

Needless to say, this needs to be addressed forthwith.

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

ALL electrics off in the boat except for the bilge blower. NO ignition sources of any kind, don't even turn the lights on and no electric power tools including a vacuum or flashlight. Leave your cell phone in the car. As advised earlier, shut the fuel tank valve off and clean up all the spilled fuel, put the rags into an open 5 gallon plastic bucket outside the boat and that does not mean the cockpit.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mattlurzo
              • Aug 2018

Great info

Thanks so much for the info. It all seems to be adding up now. And I will definitely be very careful with the fumes. It's nice to know that people care so much.
              I found the part (element and O-ring) online and at West Marine (actually only $5 more there, which was kind of shocking). I used oil absorbent pads, towels, and a manual pump to clean up the spillage from before and then wrapped the part in an absorbent pad in case any more wanted to leak out until I had a chance to fix it. I'll replace the O-ring and element and have the marine mechanic here look at the fuel system. If it doesn't work, I'll get a newer filter.

The info everyone has given me has helped so much! Looking forward to getting this fixed!
              Cheers
              Matt

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Mattlurzo View Post
                Thanks so much for the info. . . . . . It's nice to know that people care so much.
                To be sure, we do care about your safety with an additional wrinkle. Blow yourself up and we'll hear about it from the diesel snobs for a decade.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mattlurzo
                  • Aug 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  Blow yourself up and we'll hear about it from the diesel snobs for a decade.
                  LOL got it

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Agree completely that:
                    1. ensure no ignition sources
                    2. replace that filtering system and recheck so that you ensure no leaks. Spend some time and replace the rubber lines if there are any as well with the stuff that is resistant to ethanol degradation.
                    3. When you open your boat companionway there should be absolutely no smell of gas.
                    Good Luck, but should be a straight forward job.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• alcodiesel
                      • Oct 2015

"online and at West Marine (actually only $5 more there, "

Remember West Marine has a price matching policy now.

Best wishes getting this leak under control.
                      Bill McLean
                      '76 Ericson 27
                      :valhalla:
                      Norfolk, VA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
                        "online and at West Marine (actually only $5 more there, "
                        Remember West Marine has a price matching policy now.
                        Absolutely.
                        Print what you find online and take the printout to the West Marine store. Should work also if you buy online from West Marine also.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mo View Post
                          Agree completely that:
                          1. ensure no ignition sources
                          2. replace that filtering system and recheck so that you ensure no leaks. Spend some time and replace the rubber lines if there are any as well with the stuff that is resistant to ethanol degradation.
                          3. When you open your boat companionway there should be absolutely no smell of gas.
                          Good Luck, but should be a straight forward job.
                          Mo is so correct.
                          On this item in particular; "...there should be absolutely no smell of gas", It IS possible. Work to that end. I mean, who the heck wants to spend a day sailing or a night on board smelling gas?

Comment

• Mattlurzo
                            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                            Mo is so correct.
                            On this item in particular; "...there should be absolutely no smell of gas", It IS possible. Work to that end. I mean, who the heck wants to spend a day sailing or a night on board smelling gas?
                            He mentioned in the companionway. I've replaced the gasket in the fuel filter and checked the hoses. No more leaks. I don't smell gas in the companionway or in the cabin. I don't even smell it in the engine compartment. I DO smell it a little when I stick my nose right down in the bilge, near the engine. Not super strong, but it's there. I used some "De-Oil it" and I'm letting it sit. Maybe that will take care of the residue that was there from the original leak. I'll see when I go back this weekend.

I bought a handheld fume detector and it gave the lowest end beep when I stuck it into the bilge, under the engine. It doesn't give a PPM reading, but it lit up one light on a bar that has about 10 or so lights of fume intensity.

Is it possible that there is always some mild gas smell very close to the engine in the bilge? I certainly don't even want to take a small chance, so I was wanted to know if this is something that might be normal or if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks for any info.

Comment

• lat 64
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Oct 2008

It is possible gasoline has soaked into something like wood or fiberglass and is still outgasing the smell. If that were so, the smell will probably fade over time. A consistant smell may be a constant source, either a leak or gas permeating a hose or sumthin'
                              Last edited by lat 64; 12-10-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X