View Single Post
  #10   IP: 73.100.102.161
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Just finished adjusting all valves and poured more mmo into all cylinders to run the engine for a bit again...Mainly trying to see if valve adjustment would fix the cylinder #2 compression to make it match the others...

I bought a vintage set of a Sears/Craftsman Tap & Die set...ordered from ebay. Figured the steel is prob better than new sets made in China today...

I realized the other valve cover bolt was broken when I took the valve cover off and my attempt to extract it created a new hole there that is a bit off center...Should have been more careful...

So I got the new thread in and put it back together and report on the compression...

So after valve adjustment twice and more mmo, I am still getting about 80 psi at most from cylinder 2 and it won't hold the pressure...

My question then is, I suppose something is wrong with the piston rings or at worst, needs cylinder honing.

I think the carb is due for an overhaul...I am learning as I go and have learned a ton from reading on this forum. I went and started her yesterday and let it run for about 15 mins...One thing I noticed was when I open the throttle, it bogs and at one point, it died...I assume this has something to do with carb adjustment...Also ran a little crappy after...

Any suggestions?

I really did not want to do a full rebuild of this engine but seeing what others think when one cylinder is like this...All others are at 100 psi.
Attached Images