View Single Post
  #1   IP: 50.67.141.0
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM

Overheating Atomic 4

Hello again Afourians...

After two seasons my engine has started to overheat... at cruising speed on the tach it reads 1800 rpms... Temp rising to 200 degrees.

My engine is fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger... I've checked the both the raw and fresh (glycol) water pumps the impellers are intact and good no missing parts. Changed them out last year. Fluids are topped up in the heat exchanger.

I have changed out the raw water intake hose from the seacock to the V drive ... I noticed it was collapsing to an oval shape along the hose all the other hoses are fine.
While changing out to old hose, I opened the seacock, hose off and water flow freely... Engine still over heats.

Checked the out flow of water at the exhaust port at the back of the transom... Good flow and the exhaust water is hot along with some steam it never seems to go away while the engine is on.

Took out the 3 spring Holly thermostat and discovered that it was stuck in the closed position, dipped in vinegar overnight and cleaned.. Tested it in a pot of water over the stove. Tests showed that it opened at 140 degrees... Did this three times. Thermostat is not the problem since the engine still overheats to 200 degrees.

Next steps... I need to pull the hoses at the T-connecter and the intake and outflow on the exhaust manifold and check for blockage.

If there is no change to my engine overheating... Does this mean and acid flush??

I've done all I can to deduce the reasons as to why my engine is overheating... The engine runs smooth other than the overheating issue

Would like some feed back from the forum...

Last edited by Orion C&C 33; 09-16-2019 at 07:47 PM.