X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkohl44
    • Feb 2017

detail on positioning new muffler

I got all the gunk off the manifold with sandpaper, so no worries there. Neil, can you post a picture or diagram of how you fit the Centek muffler in your boat? I think I have it figured out, but it is going to straddle the galley drawer space, with the hot side (in) under the drawer and the cool side (out) under the sink side. Is this how yours fit? Did you have to cut down either of the ports into the muffler?

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

My Centek is directly below the sink space to port of the engine. I did not need to cut anything for fit.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ndutton; 01-01-2019, 05:23 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Before it fails altogether

Well, that picture gave me the willies. I hadn't made a visual check on the hot pipe for a long time, just grabbed it and gave it a shake once a year. As long as it was still solid I rationalized putting its replacement off a little longer . . . and a little longer and a little longer.

The hot pipe is now 14 year old black iron in salt water and frankly looks like shi-shi. It is still solid but I'm not putting it off any longer. The new 316 stainless sched 80 hot pipe fabrication is complete (first picture), ready to install at the next opportunity. The second and third pictures are of the thread sealant I used. I'll report back after installation and some run time on how it worked out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS exhast hot pipe.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	199110
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread sealant.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	199111Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread sealant specifications.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	199112
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• alcodiesel
          • Oct 2015

Ooooo, stainless. You can't hide money, Neil.
          Bill McLean
          '76 Ericson 27
          :valhalla:
          Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by alcodiesel View Post
            Ooooo, stainless. You can't hide money, Neil.
            Do it right, cry once . . .
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Finished

The new stainless hot pipe is installed and working. The project was not without drama however. Removal of the old pipe uncovered coolant inside the dry exhaust path of the manifold so that initiated a week of pressure testing, manifold and block/head separately and careful inspection. A few emails to selected forum members with symptoms and test results walked me back from the cliff. With rock solid pressure tests we concluded the errant coolant must have come in through the aft manifold mounting stud during disassembly. There was some evidence supporting the conclusion too.

The first picture is the old pipe with old school asbestos heat wrap.

edit: Another slight modification I made was removing the mounting screws from the bottom flange of the Centek waterlift allowing it to move with engine vibration. The attached hoses on a Catalina 30 are supported close enough to their attachment on the waterlift that they keep it in place fine without formal mounting. The pictures don't show it but there is actually space between the waterlift base and the mounting pad on the hull.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ndutton; 01-27-2019, 11:40 AM.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• Peter
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2016

Hi Neil,

Very interesting to see this exhaust set-up. Thank you for posting the photos. Good to hear that you did not have to leap over a cliff with that coolant issue.

I am quite curious to hear what your experience is with that exhaust wrap. I tried a similar looking wrap when I re-did my hot section and it stank horribly. The smell was so bad I eventually replaced it with non-coloured wrap and the smell went away.

Best regards,

Peter

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Yeah, it's stinking up the joint right now but we will see if it cooks off after a decent run. On the other hand, as long as things were opened up I also did some repainting in the area including a full prime and repaint of the manifold so both are contributing to the bouquet.
                  Last edited by ndutton; 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                  X